No Cd/dvd Rom Present In Windows Xp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ginalholdford, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ginalholdford

ginalholdford Bit poster

2.4ghz inte core2 duo macbook, 2gb memory, leopard 10.5.5, windows xp pro--

i asked support about this problem & their response was: "In order to resolve the issue,please make sure that the virtual machine is configured to use the real the CD/DVD-ROM drive, not the image file. You can check this option on the Devices menu. To change the settings, stop the virtual machine and click the CD/DVD-ROM link on the Configuration Page to open its settings. Choose the Use CD/DVD-ROM option and select the proper drive from the list. Please don’t forget to restart Windows for the changes to take effect."

i waited to long to respond, and for some reason can not get the web page to present another ticket to them. my question is where SPECIFICALLY do i find the "Configuration Page" they refer to while the virtual machine is stopped??

i have it selected in the "Devices" section of the parallels menu at the top of the screen while the virtual machine is running, but no clue how to find this mysterious "Configuration Page" they refer to.

thanks

gina l holdford

2. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

ginalholdford,

The configuration editor is located in Edit -> Virtual Machine... in the case of Parallels Desktop 3, and in Virtual Machine -> Configure... in the case of Parallels Desktop 4. All those menus are on the menu bar above, when you have Parallels Desktop in focus.

3. ginalholdford

ginalholdford Bit poster

Menu Bar

my menu bar disapears the second that i stop the virtual machine. is that normal? if so, how do i get it up while the virtual machine is stopped? if not, any ideas how to fix?

4. galochka

galochka Hunter

Please go to application -> Parallels Desktop -> and double click Parallels Desktop icom and simultaneously press Command Key after that you will be able to open configuration page -> Options-> select tab Booting (on the right side) -> and make sure that "Start VM automatically when it is opened " is unchecked

5. ginalholdford

ginalholdford Bit poster

no change

thank you! thank you! finally somebody has told me how to get into the configuration page. however as great as an acomplishment as that is, it did not solve the problem. everything was & still is selected like it is supposed to be, but still the cd/dvd only works in mac. any other ideas? would upgrading to 4.0 help?

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

7. ginalholdford

ginalholdford Bit poster

cannot get the support web page to accept my post

i had a case with support earlier, so i know how to do it, but for some reason now, i keep getting this message "Please, fill all required request form fields." ALL fields have information in them, so i'm baffled--that's the reason i came to this forum inittally--i've been trying to get to support for quite a while, but keep getting this message--perhapa something i need to change in Internet Explorer?

thanks

8. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hi, ginalholdford,

Could you please fill in the support form and make 2 screenshots - before clicking Submit and right after.
    Post both here, please.

9. ginalholdford

ginalholdford Bit poster

i've discovered the cause of the problem. windows is not recognizing the driver for the cd/dvd rom. i'm not sure how to resolve the issue, but it does not appear to be a parallels problem.--or at least i don't think so.

10. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, ginalholdford,

To fix CD-Rom issue, please, right-click on My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> CD-Rom -> right-click -> update driver
    and try to install correct driver for this device.

11. ginalholdford

ginalholdford Bit poster

have tried to do this automatically many times to no avail. even tried to move a driver over from an identical computer as this one, but cannot get it to work. in the driver status section under the general tab, i'm getting "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" under the driver tab, driver details box, 1st line i see the driver is c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys--is that the correct driver?