Strange connection problem...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Peace Freak, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Peace Freak

Peace Freak Bit poster

Just bought and installed Parallels 4.0.3810 and with a brand spanking new fresh out of the box version of Vista (SP1). I am using Leopard 1.5.6.

Seems my internet connection is flaky to say the least. Most of the time I just get a green progress bar that stops about one quarter way.

If I type in apple.com. The page comes up immediately and any page within the Apple site I can access... I am downloading iTunes and Quicktime as I write this. However, if I try any other page, eg., adobe.com, hotmail.com or CNN, no go. The progress bar stops a quarter way and nothing.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Not very happy that things do not work and the lost time troubleshooting this...

(BTW, pages within Google load without a problem too!)

2. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, Peace Freak,

Please, check your browser settings. It seems, that somehow Apple.com is in your "trusted zone", but some other sites aren't. Also, pay attention to the fact, that sometimes, when you have your browser set to block active content or pop-ups or whatever, your browser gives you a warning and won't load the page unless you positively agree.

3. Peace Freak

Peace Freak Bit poster

Thanks for your input on this but!!!

Had already tried messing with the settings in IE but no change. Just tried again now. Also installed FireFox and Safari (had to download Firefox within OSX, as the Mozilla site would not load in Vista, but both behave in the same fashion. Tried messing with their security settings too, of course, but to no avail.

This is quite unbelievable... As all three browsers are acting the same I would say it is within the network settings but I am new to Windows (and Vista!) so I don't really know what to do next.

4. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello,

Please, check if Firewall, UAC or some 3-rd-party application blocks the connection.
    If you suspect, that there is some trouble in Parallels Network adapter, please, try to click Configure and switch from Shared to Bridged and back.
    The following article could also be of some help for you:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5664

5. Peace Freak

Peace Freak Bit poster

Hello!

I have turned of the firewall in Vista. I went to Security/Firewall in Mac OSX and found that within 'Set access for specific services and applications' Parallels Service.app was set to Allow incoming connections. I added my virtual machine to the list. Tested no change. In the same are I changed the settings from 'Set access for specific services and applications' to 'Allow all incoming connections.' Still no go.

Checked the list you sent. Reset the default settings etc. No change.

I notice in the OS X Network Settings in the LH column there are the following:

Parallels Host-Only Networking Adapter is currently active and has the IP address 10.37.129.2.

Parallels Shared Networking Adapter is currently active and has the IP address 10.211.55.2.

Both have a green dot next to them indicating connected.

I wonder if they might be interfering with each other?