4.0.3810 update failure...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Macaby, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Macaby

Macaby Member

Today I clicked on a Windows file while it OS-X and a screen came up offering to install a new Parallels version 4.0.3810. I'm presently using 4.0.35somthing. I accepted the offer and off it went (first booting up my present Parallels installation.)

After "ginning" along for a while and going through several windows, a window came up telling me to quit Parallels for Mac which I did. However, the "continue" button was still greyed out.

While my present Parallels is working fine, I'm of the opinion that I should have the latest version. I'm wondering why it won't install. Anyone else have this same problem?

2. biglar

biglar Pro

I have heard of people having problems installing updates through the automatic notification you get. Try going to Parallels.com and downloading the update version from the website and then installing it. See if that works.

http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/

3. Macaby

Macaby Member

Bone head 1.01...

I didn't realize that when Parallels is on my Dock, that it is "running" even though it's not loaded. I clicked on "Quit" under the Parallels dock icon and the installation went smoothly.

4. jbhelmly

jbhelmly Bit poster

I have an iMac and a Macbook pro, both running Parallels 4.0 3810 (December 30, 2008). First my iMac prompted me to apply a Parallels update. I didn't pay that much attention to it until the process was taking too long and eventually reported some issue (that I know forget what exactly). Looking at things a little closer, I noticed that the last update I downloaded and applied was 3810 and the one the automatic updated prompted me to apply (about 1 1/2 weeking into January) was also 3810. Now on the last day of January, my Macbook pro is also prompting me to apply 3810, which is already loaded on my PC. My iMac has not been able to run Windows since the blotched attempt to install the 3810 build a second time. I dare not let the Parallels system install the update on my Macbook, even though it has not given me the prompt twice. Has anyone else noticed that same problem?

5. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, jbhelmly

There was a major update in December - build 3810, and a minor one in January, which has the same number 3810, but a slightly different version.
    So, please, reboot your Mac, start Parallels Desktop (do not boot the machine), click Help -> Check for updates and let it install what it finds.

6. eread

eread Member

If we had the december build, should we install the Jan build? If we do, should we update parallels tools for the guests?

Thanks.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

From my experience I've reached the conclusion you should install the latest build (Jan) from the installer and update the Tools.

8. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, eread

Actually, written below:
    is not 100% true. You should install the latest (January) update, but it does not require reinstallation of Parallels Tools. Click Help -> Check for updates in Parallels top menu and it should offer you something ~10 MB.

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I would believe that, if the installed drivers wouldn't have different versions and the reinstallation even asks to replace an existing file with an older one (the reinstallation of Parallels Tools).

(I did the upgrade and after that I downloaded the full installer and installed from that, I'm 100% positive the drivers installed on Windows are a more recent version than that that's on December's 4810, the newer ones even refer 23st January).

Not to mention that the version referred on the boot screen of the VMs says 4.0.3810.351321 (instead of 4.0.3810.237520) if I use the full installer, and remains unchanged (4.0.3810.237520) if I just use the upgrade.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  10. eread

eread Member

I'm going to go with the Parallels engineer on this one. I have installed the Jan build from the full installer (bandwidth is cheap) but am happy not to update tools (seemed to work perfectly anyway) until a major update occurs.

Thanks guys.