Configuring boot order

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Blaster, May 28, 2006.

1. Blaster

Blaster Member

I installed the Parallels Desktop build 1832 RC for Mac. In the Preferences > Options > Booting Options section, you can choose the boot order for the virtual machine. It looks like if you want to boot from a CD first, you select the "CD, HD, Floppy" option. But if you wanted to boot from a floppy first, you would have to go back and choose the "Floppy, HD, CD" option.

Shouldn't there be an option for either "Floppy, CD-ROM, Hard Disk" or "CD-ROM, Floppy, Hard Disk"? That way, you can boot from either a CD or floppy without having to go back and switch the boot options each time. Many real PCs have these options in the BIOS.

And how about supporting PXE network booting or USB booting? I would like to be able to boot from a USB floppy drive or USB flash drive.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for your feedback! PXE and USB booting in our roadmap for future version.

3. memet

memet Bit poster

Updates?

Any news on the booting from USB/PXE feature?

4. richramos

richramos Junior Member

Me too.

Is booting from USB flash drive going to be supported?

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

These options have not been implemented yet. However we are planning to provide PXE and USB booting. Parallels developers are working hard to live up to your expectations.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. amitkpatel

amitkpatel Bit poster

Hi,

Any update on the PXE booting?

7. brianboonstra

brianboonstra Bit poster

USB Booting

Any word on the USB booting?

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

added already as feature request

9. Joe FitzPatrick

Joe FitzPatrick Bit poster

Booting Linux of USB

If it's linux you're trying to boot, it's possible to copy just your initrd and kernel to a virtual drive, then boot the rest of the OS off your USB disk.

I searched for this without luck for a while, so i just figured it out myself and surprisingly, it only took about half an hour to get everything up and running easily.

http://joefitz.net/computing/45-osx/102-parallelsserver

10. Geekoid

Geekoid Bit poster

It seems you've had this in your "roadmap" for almost 4 years... I'm surprised you do not yet support it as it has been a basic feature in VMWare for some years, and as you're emulating a virtual PC it should be seen as an essential component.

Ah well, I guess I'll need to get VMWare instead to do this.

11. rightbrain

rightbrain Bit poster

Any news yet on USB booting?

This thread needs completion. When will USB booting be available?

12. andrew gunn

andrew gunn Bit poster

hi

Thanks for your great feedback.

13. GonzaloF

GonzaloF Bit poster

Any updates in regards of the USB Boot Support?
    Parallels 5/6 does support booting from USB devices?

Thanks

14. GonzaloF

GonzaloF Bit poster

Hi,

I checked the specifications for Mac Desktop 6 and USB boot it is still not supported, then not worth an upgrade yet until Parallels confirms that feature is implemented.

Thanks

Gonzalo

15. rexb

rexb Bit poster

good ider but i dotn ues floopys i dont think thay sell them stell:-{

16. Marnixv

Marnixv Bit poster

I read here that your developers have been hard at work for over 3 years to implement the booting from a USB device feature. In what version of Parallels might we see all this hard work come to fruition? When might I be able to boot from a USB device in a parallels virtual machine?

17. mikesims10670

mikesims10670 Bit poster

Incompetence - Strive For It!

This thread was started FOUR years and SIX MONTHS ago and yet these developers STILL - after all this time - cannot implement a few lines of code in their product so that the option of USB booting is available in the BIOS of the virtual machine. Nevermind the fact that thumb drive booting has become the preferred method of delivering alternate operating systems or utility software that must have access to the installed OS on your hard drive outside of that drives boot environment. Booting like this truly SAVES TIME and ... uhhh ... did I mention its becoming the PREFERRED BOOT METHOD next to CD and DVD??? Thumb drives at 4 gigs are now in the sub $10 price range making them perfect and reliable bot medium for just about everything! I have technical support software (Such as the I.T. edition of Storage Craft's Shadow Protect which lets me do P2V and V2P migrations but now the product is ONLY usable via boot USB thumb drive) - CD Roms take three or four times as long to boot compared to thumb drive, so the real world is making the change ... why can't we ... oh ... I dunno ... PARALLEL the real world and implement thumb drive booting in Parallels? Open source BIOS code has the routines in it ... surely a smart developer over there at Parallels would be willing to spend a few hours and get this working? How difficult could it be?

I'm going to image a bootable thumb drive into a master boot image using Disk Utility, then rename it to .ISO and see if I can boot from it that way. I'm not at my desk right now but when I get there and try it, I'll post the results.

Mike

P.S. - I switched from Fusion to Parallels months ago because Fusion was slower than a ducks A$$ on a sheet of ice in the middle of winter ... and I've never looked back. So the USB thing isn't a deal breaker for me ... its more like ... completely irresponsible on your part to not have it implemented at this point in time, where USB booting has been a staple in PC hardware for almost a decade now. Stop striving for 2% higher performance and better gaming in Windows (who really does a lot of gaming in parallels anyways?)

18. AndreyU

AndreyU Bit poster

+1 for USB boot

UPDATE: figured that boot from USB is possible: just add another Hard Disk Drive - selecting Boot Camp & USB drive partition, then specify it in boot order.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  19. filmguy

filmguy Bit poster

is it possible for AndreyU or someone who understands his success to explain it to me ? I need a dummies guide step by step. thx for any and all info

20. AndreyU

AndreyU Bit poster

filmguy,

actually I don't feel much power to make dummy guide but I assure you it is really possible.
    Plug in USB drive/stick, in VM hardware settings add another harddrive selecting your stick and specify it as boot item - marking it as bootcamp partition or something like this. then specify this partition as the 1st in boot order.
    Start you VM and enjoy.

NB please, feel free to correct instructions above by your own experience.