USB support

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by joem, Apr 9, 2006.

1. joem

joem Forum Maven

I am considering an Intel Mac, but I need a Windows machine for several Windows only applications, one of which requires USB pass through. VPC on the PPC works (but too slowly), so I need a similar capability in Parallels to make it useful in my environment.

Apple's Boot Camp product will probably work, but is inconvenient because it requires rebooting to switch, and it requires XP while I prefer Win2k.

If full USB pass through is coming soon, I'd like to know since that will make my decision (get a PC laptop or a MacBook) much easier.

Thanks.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

USB support is definetely "must have" feature and it is in our roadmap already.

3. The_Q

The_Q Bit poster

I am over the moon to hear this, as I need to install usb-serial ports, and its easier to do it in windows than linux

Then I dont need my windows laptop anymore

Now for the Macbook and I can again carry only one laptop

4. The_Q

The_Q Bit poster

Any idea of a timetable.

Beta 3 has me hooked. I have conducted speed trials of Windows Xp against the bootcamp version and in video editing I cannot see any discernable difference. Speeds are almost identical.

My one Issue is still usb.

As soon as this is fixed, I will be buying a Mac notebook to replace my work Windows Laptop.

Do we have any idea when the USB support will be released as I need to complete this test with Proprietry software to verify that it will work to proceed with the purchase.

I know it will be ready when its finished, But if the roadmap has a rough time guide, I would like to plan some testing time for this.

Any Hints/Times would be very appreciated.

This is an awesome product. Kudos for your work.

5. Fool

Fool Bit poster

I have two programs that require me to keep an XP box around and both require USB. One even uses a USB to Serial adaptor.

When Parallels gets USB working I'll be in for sure.

6. scott.junk@paksense.com

scott.junk@paksense.com Junior Member

Support for Human Interface Devices in Windows & Mac

I have a need for USB support of Human Interface Devices. Is support for HID devices planned? How high is it on the priority list? Any idea of a release date?

Background:
    I am a windows/embedded developer responsible for the firmware and software required for our product which communicates with the PC over USB as generic HID. I have the need to have multiple virtual machines for testing and development on my desktop PC. I also have a dream of being able to do my work on my MacBookPro. I have been experimenting with the Mac Beta since Beta 1 and anxiously awaiting USB support. I have to say I LOVE this product and will be purchasing the Mac version regardless.

I have also been using a trial of VMWare on my PC for software testing and development on multiple versions of Windows. I just downloaded the trial of Parallels 2.1 on the PC to evaluate Parallels as an alternative to VMWare (my VMWare trial expires shortly)

Unfortunately, when I attached our product I got the message:
    "This USB device can not be connected to a virtual machine!"
    "The current version of Parallels Workstation does not support Human Interface Devices."

I am excited about the prospect of using Parallels on both my Mac and PC and being able to share VM's on an external drive. However without USB HID support I will not be able to do the testing required.

I know you all are swamped with the Mac Beta and I am grateful for any solution on the Mac, but I would LOVE USB HID support on both the Mac and Windows platforms ASAP.

Thank you.

Scott

7. Andrew @ Parallels

HID USB devices

Hi Scott,

Thank you for such full and detailed feedback! We will consider possibility of supporting HID USB devices - they are not currently supported in Windows and Linux vesion.

8. scott.junk@paksense.com

scott.junk@paksense.com Junior Member

USB HID Device

Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. Thought I would mention that I am also going to consider modifying our product to no longer act as a HID device but rather a Bulk Transfer USB Device. Not only would it allow me to use Parallels, but it would also provide some benefits to our product. Funny how our marketing department wanted a feature that I couldn't do, but now all of the sudden I can. ;-)

I suspect with all of the currently planned features, adding HID support will end up low on your list, though for parity with VMWare you may want to have it eventually.

Again, much appreciation for all your efforts. This must be an exciting time for you all at Parallels as it is for all of your users.

Thanks,

Scott

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Scott,

We will discuss it with our USB guys for sure!

10. y3k

y3k Junior Member

Parallels, it's a great product, thank you so much! Can we expect USB support to be present in the release? This is absolutely critical question for me before I hit "preorder" button.

11. kaufman

kaufman Member

Do you also plan to support devices like PocketPCs? As soon as I can start syncing with my Parallels Virtualized PC, I can turn off my Dell laptop for good.

Michael

12. RolfG

RolfG Bit poster

USB support with dongled software

Hi,

I certainly do need Mac-USB support too, but in a special way.
    I have to use some programs that are dongle protected with
    Rainbow and HASP dongles. These are the only programs
    I regulary use on a separate pc-box.

One is a professional software RIP that does get Postscript
    printing code and sends this to a printer.
    Every time I want to print a job from my Mac, I have to start
    up my PC in order to start that software.

I have not found any emulator/virtualisation tool yet that successfully
    supported any USB dongle I have (to use). Now I have a Mac Mini,
    but BootCamp and rebooting is no solution for me.

Give me that USB-support and Parallels Workstation (Mac) is bought.

RolfG

B.T.W I sell this damn PC systems with this RIP software installed.
    If I had an alternative, I would only sell Macs, not only for backup
    purposes.