Boot Linux in Parallels

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by RSharp, Dec 4, 2006.

1. RSharp

RSharp Bit poster

Hi everybody!
    I seen the new Beta of Parallels and I have a little wish!
    In The new Parallels you can boot a BootCamp-Windows in it!
    My wish is to to the same with a Linux which is installed with rEFIt on a Intel-Mac.
    I use Mac OS X the most time, but sometimes I need Linux, especially Ubuntu, and it would be much easier to boot Ubuntu with Parallels and not to reboot the whole Mac!

Yes, that's my wish, and I hope it comes true!

and... well, forgive me, 'coz of my "not so really good" englisch! :D

R#

2. smartin

smartin Bit poster

Why not create an Ubuntu VM?

Instead of creating a Boot Camp partition to run Ubuntu, why not just set up an Ubuntu VM within Parallels? I've got Ubunto 6.06 and Kubuntu 6.10 running as VMs alongside my XP and Vista VMs. No need to bother with Boot Camp.

3. anomaly256

anomaly256 Member

Because when doing development work, say, developing 3d applications which you need to test under xp, osx, _and_ linux, testing in a vm isn't the same as booting natively. There are _alot_ of people out there with linux installed to a partition because they require it that way. It would be nice to be able to boot that inside Parallels aswell when the need arrises to avoid having to reboot just to do something like run an update or non-3d application. (and it would be silly really to not be able to considering it's the same hurdle as booting xp from a partition in the first place, to restrict it to bootcamp specific partitions is crazy)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  4. nimmymit

nimmymit Bit poster

second that request

I would like to second the original poster's request. It would be very very useful to me to be able to boot all of my various installed OS's both natively (via rEFIt) and through parallels. I could have separate Linux installs for both native testing and for casual use via parallels, however it would be much more convenient if I could share the two.

Parallels Team: Is this a feature that is planned? Any idea on timeframe?

5. mattmon

mattmon Bit poster

Thirded!

Would *really* like to see this ASAP in addition to parallels tools for linux.

6. fUNKUS

fUNKUS Bit poster

Fourthed.....

As mentioned previously there is support for boot camp users to boot to separate partitions, although unfortunately when i try to use refit (Ubuntu/XP/Tiger triple boot) i receive this error message:

'More than one Windows partitions are found. The current version of Parallels Desktop doesnÕt support such configuration and can not continue.'

This happens when i try to use the 'boot camp' drive option (with refit, not boot camp) for either my Ubuntu or my Xp Partitions. But it looks like it could be possible.

Any response from the dev's yet? Id absolutely love to be able to boot to my other partitions from withing Tiger.

O and btw : Heres a Similar Thread to this one

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  7. anomaly256

anomaly256 Member

The latest beta gets around this. Celebrate. go forth and boot your custom partition schemes.
    \o/

8. sconstantine

sconstantine Bit poster

Fifthd....

using GPT partitions not created with BootCamp. Using rEFIt for my boot manager.

No Parallels love in this config.

Help?

9. vinneh

vinneh Member

i would like to also voice my interest in this feature.
    Some way to pass alternative hardware config to the linux install similarly to the bootcamp way. also PLEASE make aiglx work so we can have compiz/beryl in our virtual machines :D

10. fUNKUS

fUNKUS Bit poster

Can anyone clarify weather the new beta lets you boot from efi partitions or is it just on boot-camp partitions?

if not

Is there a workaround for efi partitions that anyone knows of?

re smartin's question:

Virtual machines are just not as effective as a full machine natively booting, end of :p
    ...so i have to use linux and windows and osx ('triple-boot') natively but its useful, as a developer to be able to test things using parallels, thats why i bought it.

11. njoannin

njoannin Bit poster

Is it possible???

Hello,
    I've read through this thread because I need exactly the same thing!

However, I can't find the answer to the question.
    Could someone indicate how to proceed in order to boot from the efi partitions?

Thanks!!!
    Nicolas

12. redchuck

redchuck Bit poster

I'm wondering something very similar. I'm maintaining a bunch of developer laptops. They all dual boot Ubuntu and XP. Most of them run Ubuntu and use kvm to run their XP partitions virtually. Some would like to boot XP and run their Ubuntu partitions as virtual machines. Is this possible under Parallels? I have it working in vmware.

13. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Download the demo and try it.

14. redchuck

redchuck Bit poster

According to the User Guide it doesn't support booting off physical disks or partitions. It also only supports a version of Ubuntu nearly three years old. So I guess I'm out of luck.

I was kind of hoping that the guide was just outdated, because a couple mid-2006 threads on this forum listed it as a coming feature.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=1627

15. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

No official support, but at least in V. 2 some people had manually set-up the .pvs file to point to the appropriate ids for the vm they were wanting to run.

16. njoannin

njoannin Bit poster

I'm a newbe to using Linux and to tell the truth, I'm mostly a basic user when it comes to operating systems...
    Before trying Parallels, I have successfully triple booted my MacBook. However, I'm now in a situation in which I would really like to use all three (OsX, XP and Linux) at the same time.
    I tried manually twitching around the .pvs file, but with no success (again, I probably didn't try hard enough... I get shy when twitching things ;).

If someone figures this one out, please post your solution here!!!