Specify which USB devices will auto-connect

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by misterjangles, Jan 1, 2007.

1. misterjangles

misterjangles Member

It would be nice if I could tell parallels to always auto-connect my PDA, but never connect my iPod.

A simple "ignore list" in the USB settings would be perfect.

If you have multiple USB devices that you use - some in Windows and some in OSX, it's a minor annoyance no matter how you configure it. If you have auto-connect enabled then I have to manually disconnect my iPod every time I plug it in. With auto-connect disabled, obviously, I have to manually connect my PDA.

Even worse, when you have auto-connect enabled windows will sometimes prompt you to install a driver when you plug in a USB device. You have to cancel out of the hardware wizard and then disconnect. All when you never wanted that device to connect to Windows anyway.

2. stresover

stresover Bit poster

Why don't you disable auto connect?

3. misterjangles

misterjangles Member

I do actually have auto-connect disabled because it is the lesser of two evils for me. But, I find myself constantly manually connecting my PDA and a printer (that isn't supported by OSX). I just find that a bit annoying and it would be nice if Parallels could remember which devices I want to use in Windows and which in OSX.

I was imagining the USB options page with perhaps a section labeled "Automatically connect these devices" following by a checkbox group of the USB devices you have recently used. You could simply uncheck one of them and it would not auto-connect that specific device.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  4. Sonderpa

Sonderpa Member

Good wish!

A agree totally with misterjangles.
    I dont want all my USB devices to be auto-connected.
    By having the option to select the devices that are allowed to auto-connect, I'm much more flexible.

5. misterjangles

misterjangles Member

i noticed that in the most recent version parallels seems to remember which USB devices i manually connected. for example i can plug my phone in/out and when i plug it back in - it autoconnects - even though i have auto-connect disabled in the preferences.

this is part-way to getting my feature wish! and actually is quite simple. If you ever manually connect something - it will always auto-connect that device. likewise, i suppose if you manually disconnect, it will no longer auto-connect. simple & no need for a new interface at all!

if this would just persist when i re-boot my virtual machine, it would be perfect!

6. omero

omero Member

Useful feature would be.

7. legoandy

legoandy Bit poster

There are certain devices that require Auto-connect. One example is Palm Treo. I would love to have everything else disabled, since I only use windows to sync my time tracking software on my palm.

In other words, Auto-connect for specific devices would be awesome...

8. Uhlhorn

Uhlhorn Junior Member

Oh Yes please! My brother has a ZIP drive only for backup some data from a Windows program. It should connected every time parallels is running. But other devices should only connected when desired.

9. cetuma

cetuma Member

As though there was a setting where when you manually turn a device on, Parallels asks if you want to autoconnect the device in the future.

10. Duncan

Duncan Bit poster

Definitely would make my day

There are some devices (USB-dongles, also an ISDN / modem adapter which I only use under windows) but never (cause the software wouldn't let me anyway) use it under OS X or anywhere else.

Some way to have those devices (auto-)connect automatically when a VM starts would be extremely useful.

Otherwise you have always go to a bunch of devices to re-connect any time you start the VM.

And no, auto-connecting everything just isn't a good idea (I have lots of other USB devices that I use (and only want to use with the host machine) no need or desire (or device drivers) to run it in the VM

So PLEASE! you are doing an awesome job, but even if it is a little thing to you,
    it's a huge step forward in usability for others ;)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  11. tmm4264

tmm4264 Bit poster

Does this exist yet?

Any word on this feature being available in Parallels Desktop yet?

I'm using Build 5608 and cannot seem to get it to connect to my HP AIO LaserJet 3330 at startup.

12. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

13. tmm4264

tmm4264 Bit poster

John, thanks for the quick reply. I have another printer that is a Zebra USB printer for UPS labels. Unfortunately for that one, I don't think the Shared Printer option is viable.

In addition, the AIO has additional functionality (scanning, faxing, etc) that would be lost if I set it up as a Shared Printer. It would print, yes, but I would lose the multi-function part of it.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

14. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

If you set VM to Bridged Ethernet, you will we able to establish Printer as Network Printer in VM