Boot camp and Parallels dual system use?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Unkle Chopper, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Unkle Chopper

Unkle Chopper Bit poster

Hi,

I am looking for advice/ confirmation from anyone who has successfully used parallels to run a existing boot camp partition and then continued to use both methods to run the same machine?

i.e.

1) use boot camp to run the machine as a native windows installation

2) use parallels to run as virtual machine from the mac

switch between the two as required ad-hoc...

I currently have a 64bit installation of Vista ultimate in my boot camp partition on a MACBOOK PRO running OS X 10.5.6 i have used parallels for other installations with mixed success and before letting parallels touch my "good" installation of vista want to make sure it will work?

I have read various threads that suggest activation may be an issue? this and other comments make me reluctant to let parallels touch the boot camp machine.

There seems to be no clear statement as to what current capability for the dual boot / VM scenario installation using parallels involves?

Can anyone clarify this?

thanks,

Chopz...

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

In order to run Windows Vista Vm, you need to have
    at least
    Parallels Desktop version 4 (build 3810)
    Core 2 Duo CPU

3. Unkle Chopper

Unkle Chopper Bit poster

John,

This comment does not inspire me much to trust that the parallels software will not give me any problems as the posted answer does not respond to the question? possibly the thread was not understood clearly or maybe not really read?

I have the current version of parallels installed on my 2.5 GHz core 2 duo macbook pro with 4 GB RAM

My issue is that i have used parallels in the past and had issues with reliability, i reverted to running windows via boot camp to ensure absolute stability for work purposes. I would like to utilize my boot camp partition and run windows from parallels however will still need the ability to start via boot camp occasionally to run windows as a native OS.

Again anyone who has simmilar experiences / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

4. Salamat

Salamat Member

Am running Vista 32 on my iMac and yes, you can either boot up directly into Vista, or get Parallels to use the Bootcamp partition. Used to have reactivation issues, but not a major problem as the automatic system worked. The only issue I do have starting Vista from Parallels, is that it won't boot with my external USB drive connected.
    Salamat

5. Unkle Chopper

Unkle Chopper Bit poster

Thanks Salamat,

One of the reason for asking the question is that there are numerous threads about this issue but none have a clear answer as to what the current situation is. (some of the treads avery old i.e. 2006)

did you have any hardware profile issues? as this was an early problem reported?

6. grimghost

grimghost Bit poster

Boot Camp Crash

I have been using PD4 and Vista on a Boot camp partition. Everything worked fine until I upgraded to build 3810. After that, I installed the parallels tools and continued to use the VM with no trouble. However, after booting into Vista through boot camp the system immediately crashes and reboots after I log into windows. Since the parallels vm works fine I assume the problem is that there is a driver that is being supplanted when I boot into windows natively. This isn't mission critical since I only use the boot camp to play games, but I am frustrated by this at the same time. Any help would be appreciated.

Macbook Pro 17 2.33 GHz 2GB

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

grimghost

What is crash error?