Trouble copying and pasting between Excel and Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by woodyrr, Nov 28, 2008.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

woodyrr Please create ticket in support

2. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

woodyrr support ticket

I did. Please see post #14. It is report id 21917

3. John@Parallels

4. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

Ticket Submitted

I have submitted a support ticket using the link provided: It has been assigned Parallels #646010.

5. wdcurry

wdcurry Member

still no copy and paste..

sigh, will this ever be corrected? i am up-to-date with parallels v4 and still must create text files to "copy and paste" between my mac o/s and vista. I copy my text into a local text file, then drag it to the other o/s, the copy it again, then paste where required.

nice.

No wonder this issue was *not* included in the fixed items within the last readme..

Why is this basic feature so hard to fix?

6. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

In my case, it has been corrected with an update to 4.0 3810.

I had a very hard time installing the update because it kept telling me that windows was running when it demonstrably was not, but I got past that.

What I did discover was a new preference pane in my system preferences called MacFuse. I can't prove that the Parallels update put it there, I know that I didn't and that when I threw it away, my copy and paste between Mac and Windows quit working and when I reinstalled it, copy and paste began working again. I used it this morning.

That is all of the information that I can offer.

7. wdcurry

wdcurry Member

indeed it appears parallels installs macfuse, but in my case, even though it is there, copy and paste simple does not work. It ***does*** work when the mac fires up fresh, and parallels starts new, but almost immediately stops working.

8. John@Parallels

wdcurry
    May be yo can create ticket too?

9. wdcurry

wdcurry Member

Just fix copy and paste, now. please.

No John, i have already done this a while back, this is a known problem, and if it takes yet another ticket to push the fix of the most basic feature of your product's abilities, then the product is in trouble on many counts. So no, this needs no ticket, it simply needs fixing.

10. jkester

jkester Bit poster

Seeing exactly the same problem

Ticket #70683

Entered from Help -> Report a Problem... menu option

11. wdcurry

wdcurry Member

come on Parallels team, take ownership of this problem, stop asking for tickets and just make it happen. Surely this is reproducible.

12. John@Parallels

13. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

I can't believe it. I installed the newest update to Parallels and copy and paste is broken again on top of things slowing waaaayyy down!. To make matters worse, I must have deleted my copy of Parallels 3 so I can't even go back to it.

14. wdcurry

wdcurry Member

Once again asking: will Parallels as a company face this problem and fix it? Copy and Paste between the mac o/s and vista DOES NOT WORK.

15. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

The problem that I see is that it is not consistent. I started up fresh and it didn't work, so I shut everything down and went about my business. Later I realized that I could do what I needed to do without copying and pasting by just typing the information in - not fun - but it would get the job done. When I started everything up again, copy and paste was working. Will it work the next time that I need to use it? I guess that depends on how badly I need to get the work done!

16. wdcurry

wdcurry Member

perhaps a post a day will get on Parallels dev team enough to FIX THIS PROBLEM. Even without copy and paste, parallels is better than fusion, but as soon as there is another option, i will check it out, as this copy/paste issue has been completely messed up by parallels, seriously, how often have you read: please create a ticket? It should only take one ticket, and that was created eons ago.

@Parallels coders: can't anyone fix this issue?

17. jkester

jkester Bit poster

Figured out what the problem was with my system

I run (or at least used to run) Executor (http://executor.dk/) in my Windows VM. As soon as I shut down Executor, copy and paste works correctly.

Still looking into whether I can get them to play well together, but at least I now know what the problem is and how to work around it.

18. wdcurry

wdcurry Member

most of us are not using that program, so i suspect you will still see the problem shortly.

19. NicholasY

NicholasY Bit poster

I know it kinda 2009 but

Hey i know its been almost a year since the last post but it doesnt seem to be resolved yet is it??? If anyone go it to work please tell me. Mine just seems to work at times and at times not. When it doesnt work it seems to have 2 seperate clipboards instead. One for mac and one for windows. Note the share clipboard option is ticked.

20. Chuck Rice

Chuck Rice Bit poster

Same problem

I have the same problem. In my case, it is copying text from any XP application and pasting it to any Mac Application. It does not seem to get the length correct when it pastes and so it ends up pasting any random garbage in addition to the text you cut. Since this random garbage contains mostly non-printing characters and nulls, you often cannot see it, but if you try to backspace to delete the last character, it will not delete. In my case, I am often pasting in find boxes, and the find will fail, even though I know that the string I am looking for is there. If I use the mouse to select the last character that I meant to past, to the end of the text box, and replace it by deleting or replacing, then my search will work.

So after this happened the 1,000th time, I created a new text file and pasted the (bad) copied into the text file. I then saved the file and looked at it with a Hex Editor. Sure enough, you can see the garbage. I packaged this all up and sent it to Parallels, using the report function in the help menu. I got a return message saying that they got it:

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience with Parallels Desktop.
    Your problem report with ID 403323 was received and automatically processed on 13-08-2009 20:08:26.

Description:
    This problem occurs very often. I am working back and forth between a Windows XP session and a MacOSX session. I copy something from the windows side, and paste it in the MacOSX side often. These copies can be anywhere from a few characters to several pages of text. In the example shown in the attached screen shots, on the PC side, I cut the characters ZTRAPMD, then switched to the Mac side and pasted that into a TextMate find window and I got what I copied, but I also got a bunch of garbage. I still had the copy in the clipboard, so Iswitched to PathFinder, created a new file, pasted into that new file, then used the PathFinder Hex command to display the result. I am not sure if this problem reporter took the screen shot, befor I did this or if it will now. I think that it took it before, so I did a screen capture of the (Mac Side) file I created and the hex dump. I am not sure how to attach that here, but if you email me, I can send that screen capture.

This happens so often, that I have gotten to know it. Sometimes I just cut the excess off after pasting. Sometimes it is hard to delete the excess, I guess because it contains nulls. at anyrate, it looks like the problem occurs when you copy something large, and paste it, the go back to the PC side and cut something small and past that. It looks like it is not resetting the length.

Nothing since then, so I thought I would try submitting the question on the forum. Here I find that it is a known problem that has existed for many months.