having boot camp in parallel to 4.0 (no punt intended)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jc9, Feb 7, 2009.

1. jc9

jc9 Bit poster

Is it worthwhile to have boot camp set up in addition to 4.0 as a contingent option just in case 4.0 dies on me? Having read all the stability issues about 4.0, I am really nervous.

Is there full congruence between boot camp and 4.0 MS Win VM? By full congruence I mean whether all my MS Win applications in 4.0 VM would automatically be available in boot camp or do I need to 'reinvent the wheel' by installing all such applications again under boot camp thereby wasting my macbook's hard disk space.

2. Srinivasulu.V

Srinivasulu.V Hunter

Hello,
    You need install all MS Win applications Again in boot camp, because it is a seperate partition.
    Parallels allows you to use both MAC and windows at the same time, but in bootcamp you have to reboot every time.

3. Statman

Statman Member

As John says...boot camp is basically having a separate windows machine. You can not copy to the boot camp partition directly (at least I have not figured out how to). It does however allow you to run windows programs that do not work on Parallels (Blackberry Desktop for instance).

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

This is not exactly correct, you could make an image of the VM using something like g4u and restore that image in a Boot Camp partition and then do a Repair Install.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Specimen , it is very hard situation, and I am not sure it will work correctly, clean install is always good solution

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I've made it both wasy without using Parallels transporter and it's doable. But requires tech knowledge, but it isn't impossible.