help - trouble uninstalling Paralles tools for boot camp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by don montalvo, Jan 1, 2007.

1. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

on the new beta3, i can't get past the following dialog:

[​IMG]

i boot into bootcamp and "remove" the tools, but parallels still throws up the error. i don't have a problem booting directly into bootcamp. just can't get to it via parallels.

thanks,
    don

2. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Try installing Tools for Bootcamp again, and then uninstalling it. You are booting natively into Bootcamp, right? Then go into Parallels to see if it will run. You might have to install the Beta 1 version of Parallels that allowed the Bootcamp partition to be used, and uninstall Tools with it.

Also if you had been using your Bootcamp VM with any other Beta versions, uninstall Tools from those Betas before installing the new Beta. And as always, back up your Bootcamp partition before using any Beta. I use DriveImage XML, as well as the BartPE with DriveImage XML plug-in, so I can restore via CD Boot if something goes wrong. Those are both FREE programs...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  3. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

i'll try going back to beta1 to uninstall parallels tools...will report back.

ps, i use ghost to image my bootcamp partition before i install an upgrade. i also have full/incremental backups going just incase. it's not a mission critical machine but nice to have backups anyway. i would never install a beta on a mission critical machine. :)

don

4. lh99

lh99 Bit poster

Same problem here...

I'm having exactly the same issue. When I go to uninstall Parallels
    Tools in Bootcamp, the uninstaller throws an error, but 'finishes' anyway,
    removing Parallels Tools from the Add/Remove Programs control panel.
    Parallels won't allow me to start the Bootcamp (same error as posted above).

error.jpg

Reinstalling the tools gives another error, unsurprisingly, that
    Parallels Tools are already installed. Obviously, the uninstaller
    doesn't work. I've tried rebooting between installing and
    uninstalling with no luck.

As a side note, Parallels has never worked with Bootcamp
    on my machine, not even with 3036.

Parallels team: can you provide a tiny bit of support for removing
    the tools manually? Since I don't know what the Parallels tools
    installed in the first place, I can't figure out what to remove to get rid of it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  5. dougxd

dougxd Bit poster

I'm having the EXACT same problem as reported in the original post to this thread. I'm able to uninstalled 3106 and reinstall 3094 and everything works just fine again. The thing that's irritating about this is that we *HAVE* to uninstall the tools from beta1 BEFORE we can even install the beta2. If I'm already running beta2 then why can't the beta3 code pickup on the fact that I upgraded from beta2 in the first place?

So, how do we handle removing traces of beta1 tools from within native BC? In order to install them again, I'd have to backpeddle Parallels back to beta1 and then reinstall the beta1 tools4bc and deal with the uninstaller problems again.

Anyone know how to manually remove traces of the beta1 tools4bc? I'm good with just sticking with beta2 until the final build.......I'm just concerned that the final build will be hosed up a bit too. I'd really prefer not to have to completely reload XP/BC....but I will if totally necessary.

6. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

i tried reverting to beta1 and beta2. both allowed me to access bootcamp via parallels. however, i still get the same error when trying to access bootcamp in beta3.

i can boot into bootcamp directly. just can't access via parallels beta3.

don

7. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

just an update...getting the same "error 1" prompting me to contact parallels support. hoping on a fix. i reverted to beta2 for now. hoping beta4 includes a tool to remove parallels tools for bootcamp (as someone suggested in another thread). :)

don

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007