A good experience . . plus tips for v4 and NaturallySpeaking

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tblack, Nov 24, 2008.

1. kocoman

kocoman Bit poster

I have overclocked my computer from 2.1 GHz to 3.1 GHz and have reduced the number of virtual machines that I run. It is more responsive now. I hope to wait for snow leopard, it is said to improve speeds for multicore processors.

2. dkwehe

dkwehe Member

That's one approach. Many of us are waiting for Parallels v5. Version 3 was great, so maybe it's just the odd numbered versions that are so good.

3. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

tblack wrote: "Sorry, but that's the whole point - DON'T select "default" as the input microphone in devices>sound or devices>USB. Select your actual USB mike! And select your USB mike in the Windows sound control panel as well."
    ==

It seems that my USB audio device can only be used by OS X only, or Windows only. Therefore, if I want to select my USB device (iMic) with the Parallels Sound configuration icon located in the cluster at the bottom of the window, the device would have to NOT be connected to the virtual machine. If its NOT connected to the virtual machine, then Windows doesn't even know it exists, and only sees a device that I am not using for a microphone.

I've read through this thread and it has confused me. As a result I've set out on my own to debug my problems.

Through trial and error, I've learned that for my system, the iMic device I have plugged in to the USB bus needs to be plugged into the right USB port on my computer. If its plugged into a hub, I get faster, noisy playback of my voice after recording. But when plugged into the right-side USB of my Macbook Pro, the sound is wonderful.

End of problem. No linking of the USB device between OS X and Windows is even possible. The iMic USB device is either connected to OS X, or it is connected to Windows. I can't record any other way, with my iMic device.

4. dkwehe

dkwehe Member

Atomic Fusion:

Nice moniker, but do you DD or DT?

Your post was very helpful. I moved my Andrea PureAudio USB sound pod to the computer's USB port directly, and, voila, the sound was so improved that I am able to use the USB direct connection to Windows, and disable Parallels sound. I re-installed PD v4, and have reasonable recognition again. I had also decreased the size of the Parallels memory to 1 GB, as per recommendations here. The speed of PDv4 is still slower than PDv3 for me, but it is at least a workable solution using PDv4 for now.

dkw (a.k.a.Atomic Fission)

(this sentence was dictated using the setup. For some reason, the accuracy is just not quite as good).

5. PhilippeR

PhilippeR Bit poster

Hello Tom,
    Thx for sharing your knowledge.
    Same problem here. I followed your instructions but in my windows control panel, my mike isn't showing up.
    I have
    - not selected the mic in mac preferences
    - selected the mike in parallels configure sound
    - by parallels configure usb there is 'enabled' but in my preferences the mike is connected to the VM
    Have you got a suggestion 4 me?
    Thx 4 your answer and sorry 4 my poor english,
    Philippe