Dynamic resolution & openSuSE 11.1

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by lmhaffner, Jan 30, 2009.

1. lmhaffner

lmhaffner Junior Member

Hi,

Just upgraded to Parallels Desktop 4 (3810) and installed a fresh openSuSE 11.1 the other day.

Parallel Tools installs easily once the proper packages are installed, but the resolution is initially set to 1280x1024. I can't seem to get dynamic resolution to function in this guest OS (works in XP fine). Resizing the window doesn't change the guest desktop size. Changing the resolution in the guest OS using the taskbar icon does allow me to change it manually up to 2048 x 1536. Unfortunately, 2560 x 1600 is not an offered option here (even with 16-32MB video memory), the default res of my 30" ACD. The mouse sharing works fine (i.e., I don't need to hit Ctrl-Alt to get control).

However, I find that if I configure the video manually via sax2 from a console without X running, I can get it to use the full 2560 x 1600. But then I lose the mouse sharing, which is occasionally annoying.

Is this just a case of Xorg 1.5.x not being fully supported yet? If so, I'll stop spinning my wheels and wait :)

Thanks!

mh

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Try to increase video memory to 128 mb

3. lmhaffner

lmhaffner Junior Member

I had tried that, sorry I didn't mention it. X.org log shows it's seeing all the memory. And on boot up, the vesafb driver does use the 2560x1600 mode. I scanned the X.org log more carefully this time and found something that should help:

(II) PRLVIDEO(0): Total Memory: 4096 64KB banks (262144kB)
    (II) PRLVIDEO(0): Parallels Monitor: Using hsync range of 0.00-250.00 kHz
    (II) PRLVIDEO(0): Parallels Monitor: Using vrefresh range of 56.00-64.00 Hz
    (II) PRLVIDEO(0): Parallels Monitor: Using maximum pixel clock of 250.00 MHz
    (WW) PRLVIDEO(0): Unable to estimate virtual size

(II) PRLVIDEO(0): Not using built-in mode "2560x1600" (width requires unsupported line pitch)
    (--) PRLVIDEO(0): Virtual size is 2048x1536 (pitch 2048)

And no matter what video memory setting I use, I don't get dynamic resizing even though Tools is definitely controlling the mouse sharing.

mh

4. lmhaffner

lmhaffner Junior Member

Ah, found one more tidbit that might be affecting the dynamic resizing. X.org appears to be rejecting a connection from prltoolsd:

AUDIT: Tue Feb 3 09:44:08 2009: 2285 X: client 23 rejected from local host ( uid=0 gid=0 pid=1710 )

PID 1710 is /usr/bin/prltoodsd, running as root.

So the inability to use 2560x1600 and the lack of dynamic resizing may be separate issues. Any ideas on this one?

5. lmhaffner

lmhaffner Junior Member

Any help with these two issues? Should I file a bug report?

6. Geoffrey S

Geoffrey S Bit poster

What was the package list please.

I am trying to get the tools installed in 11.1 and can't find the kernel souce that it is asking for ... I loaded the headers and the source and it's still not happy.