Black screen of death : (

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hilmartor, Dec 22, 2006.

1. hilmartor

hilmartor Member

I just updated Paralells and when installing the tools it installed VGA driver and stopped responding, Now I cannot logon since there is only a black screen. is it possible to fix this or do I have to have re-install the whole thing?

If i put in my login-password I can hear XP starting up but I cannot see the screen.

Cheers

2. Robster

Robster Hunter

Please read the forum.

This is the 5th or 6th thread ont he same subject.

Restart and hold down F8.

Boot in safe mode and once booted install Parallel extensions.

Reboot and all will be fine.

Robin

3. hilmartor

hilmartor Member

Works.. great

thanx

4. dviall

dviall Bit poster

F8 just controls brightness for me

and Windows never even begins to launch. Do I need to reinstall windows?:confused:

5. palter

palter Hunter

If you're on a notebook, you need to press the "fn" key (lower left) and hold it down while pressing F8 to get the key treated as an ordinary key and not the special function OS X provides.

6. sypark

sypark Junior Member

Black Screen question...

Sorry, but I searched the entire forum and this is the only one that's related to my situation.

I'm having a similar problem, see the initial windows xp logo and chime, but the screen goes blank. I still hear the annoying pop-up bubbles.

I tried restarting with F8, but it doesn't seem to make adifference. (I have a dual-core iMac).

Do you mean to install Parallels tools, afterwards? I tried, but it's hard working in the dark. Literally.

Thanks.

7. CountZero

CountZero Member

You F8 key is probably mapped to Expose or some other function. Make sure it is not used by OS X first in System Preferences then try again.