Parallels Tools install fails

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Martin Arant, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Martin Arant

Martin Arant Junior Member

OK. .. with the new release I finally was able to convert my XP VM over to version 4. Everything seemed to install OK but when I installed Parallel Tools it made it almost through the install and then rolled back and gave me a message that I would need to try and reinstall it. Ever since when I click on "Install Parallel Tools" I get a message saying "another instance of the installer is already running or I do not have permission to install." I cannot find any evidence that the previous install in on my system and I am the system administrator. Aside from this... the program seems to finally be running fine and all features are working. It's not much use though without the tools. Can anyone help

Martin

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It would be great if you could send us some logs of tools installation. I will provide instructions how it can be done if you don't mind.

If it is not a problem to you, please post me your email address via private message. It could be done by clicking on my nick and following to the "Send a private message" link

We will provide some workaround and most likely will fix this in the nearest update.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  3. drdlwilson

drdlwilson Bit poster

Having same problem

I upgraded to build 3540 but get the message when the Parallel tools upgrade tries to load:

Another instance of the installer program is already running or you do not have the appropriate rights to run the installer. Please exit the other instance or contact your administrator.

I have tried rebooting, looking for the installer, but need help here.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Could you please take a look in the task manager and check for msiexec,
    Delete all processes msiexec and start Parallels Tools installation

5. drdlwilson

drdlwilson Bit poster

I did not see msiexe in the task manager. I tried stopping some other processes but it did not help.

6. aak

aak Member

Hi!

Guys, did this issue occur after resume of your VM or not?

7. rfgranlund

rfgranlund Bit poster

Same problem, I'm a newbie

Hi. I'm just getting started with Parallels Desktop, and I decided to install a very stripped down version of XP called MicroXP v0.82 (includes SP3) in my VM, since I have very limited needs for Windows.
    I am getting the same message when I try to install the Tools: "Another instance of the installer program is already running or you do not have the appropriate rights to run the installer. Please exit the other instance or contact your administrator."
    This is the very first thing I am trying to do on my new VM. It happens when I click on the disc icon in My Computer, or if I choose Open from the contextual menu.

Could it be that something necessary to run the installer is missing from this stripped down version of XP?

Thanks,
    Ray

8. aak

aak Member

Hi!
    Could you provide me with installation log?
    It's located inside VM in c:\windows\temp\parallels*

9. rfgranlund

rfgranlund Bit poster

Sorry. I didn't find any folder named temp in c:/windows ...

10. aak

aak Member

What version of Windows do you use inside VM?
    Plus, could you please send Problem Report (Help -> Report a Problem...) and provede me with Problem Report ID.

Thanks!

11. rfgranlund

rfgranlund Bit poster

12. aak

aak Member

rfgranlund, how did you manage to solve 0x80070002 issue?
    I've installed MicroXP inside VM and after installation, on first boot I've received strange 0x80070002 issue.

13. rfgranlund

rfgranlund Bit poster

Hi. That took me a while to figure out. You have to skip detection and create a "Typical" machine.
    Parallels does something automatic with the serial number in the "Express" option, and that conflicts with this unattended install.

First, I want to thank you for your help so far. Actually I went ahead and got a new OS, called "TinyXP", from the same company. It is also stripped-down, but it is more robust than "MicroXP", which is really, really bare bones.

Guess what? The Parallels Tools installed perfectly!!

Thanks again,
    Ray

14. aak

aak Member

Hi!
    It's great! Hope you'll have fun using Parallels Desktop for Mac!
    And thanks for the hint with MicroXP!!!

15. Deodacd

Deodacd Bit poster

0x8007002 error code when installing MicroXP on Parallels 5 VM

Hi, rfgranlund.

Sorry to bother you almost a year later you posted, but I need help.

One month ago I changed to the new MacBook for good, and couldn't be happier. Even so, I recently decided to install MicroXp 0.82 on a VM with Parallels 5, just to play my favorite arcade games. I rejected Bootcamp, because I want to get as far from Windows as possible. For me, this is the most appealing distro, since it's really small, and fits the purpose in mind.

When I quickly came across the 0x80070002 issue, I started reading posts all over the Web, to see if someone had found a working solution. Since this error code happens at the very first boot of MicroXP, none of the posts regarding a solution "in Windows" is useful: your post seems the only one that truly adresses what might be the problem, and seems you've succeeded. But...

I don't know what am I doing wrong, but it does not work for me. The error keeps on reappearing, always, no matter what I do, and I think I followed your only instruction carefully, and also tried some variations, following a Custom install instead of Typical.

I have to say that I am owner of an orphan Xp Home Product Key, but it's also true that for this, being MicroXP a Professional distribution, I had used three different XP Pros serials, two of them found on posts related to MicroXp. Nothing changes. I never get to install the OS.

Could you discuss further what have you done? Or maybe you'll have ideas about what am I missing? I have no clues whatsoever...

It would be much appreciated...

PD: As MicroXP never really gets to work, and this was going to be my first VM on Mac, I also cannot get Parallels Tools installed. Sigh!

16. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi Deodacd,
    MicroXP is not supported by Parallels Desktop, and we can hardly assist you with installation of MicroXP in Parallels Desktop virtual environment. Please find list of supported Guest operating systems here.

17. Deodacd

Deodacd Bit poster

Thx, I-che, for a quick & clear explanation.

I'll move on and install other Xp instead..., still, I wonder how rfgranlund did "figure" it out. Thx again.

18. aak

aak Member

Hi!

Try 'TinyXP'. Seems like it works fine.

19. Deodacd

Deodacd Bit poster

Which TinyXp?

@aak
    Hi. Yes, maybe is the next smallest, but...

...There's lots of .iso around for this distribution.

I tried TinyXp Rev09 by EXPerience, and it freezes at about 5 seconds, when the VM reboots as the first step to start installing the OS (it appears a screen with TinyXp Rev 09 in big white over red background), so this one does not work as well. Do you happen to know an exact .iso file that works?

I am now running Windows_XP_Lite_SP3_[Spanish]_Octubre_2009_Solo_188MB, which works swell, but I am willing to try TinyXp if only knew what to download.

20. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi,
    I'd really like to have this discussion in the context of officially supported Guest operating systems, please.