Do I need to buy Windows XP to use this?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by goldilocks, Feb 19, 2009.

1. goldilocks

goldilocks Bit poster

Hi,

I just paid $79 for this program, thinking I would be able to immediately use it to run Windows, and now I'm finding that I may have to *BUY* the Windows XP software that I want to use on my MacBook Pro?

I have a Windows XP disc from my Dell laptop, but even though I assume I'm not supposed to use it, that was the only XP disc I have available to me, so I tried using it. Everything worked great upon installation until I got to the screen that asks for my 25-character product key for the software, which I do not have... and which I suppose is to keep people from using a licensed piece of software on more than one machine. Is that correct?

Will someone please tell me exactly what my options are, because I've been unable to find this information anywhere else within the guide, on the site, etc.?

Thanks for your help!

Andy

2. murphy

murphy Member

You need to purchase a copy of Windows to use with Parallels.

3. HonzaI

HonzaI Member

If you have WinXP disk from Dell machine, it will probably work without product key on Dell machine. It is written so on the CD itself (I have few of those myself). There is some key in bios which makes those special WinXP versions run without key. If you have non-Dell system (= Parallels VM), you have to provide key to make these work.
    Parallels VM provides "emulated hardware" for number of different OSes, but does not provide the OS itself. That would be nice and cheap, considering cost of Vista or XP.
    Your options are limited, at least the legal ones. You can buy full license for XP, if you can still buy it. YOu can buy Vista license or download any of many nice, free, and useful Linux distributions :) But that is not likely what you want to do...
    You can also try the illegal way... Just do not ask for help here :)

Jan

4. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

goldilocks,

Confirming what the above posters said: yes, you need a copy of Windows XP, or any other supported guest OS, to run a virtual machine with it. And yes, that Dell Windows XP CD is OEM software, and will most probably not work with Parallels Desktop. Here, an article on OEM software:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5129

5. aks

aks Bit poster

look underneath your dell laptop (which came with the cd) around the battery, there should be a sticker with the registry key. Depending on your license you might be allowed to use the key more than once, or if you uninstall it from your dell.

6. RonaldS

RonaldS Bit poster

Which version can I install?

I just came across a reference that stated that I must install a "Full Retail" version of Windows (XP Pro in this case) and that Mac OS does not accept any other version like many of those that Ebay lists as just "Full, complete, new, etc." Does it HAVE TO be a "Full Retail" version?

7. Andrew_H

Andrew_H Bit poster

Website is a joke

As someone who is not familiar with this type of software and whats included - I had no idea I needed a copy of Windows for this to work.

The level of stupidity is astounding. Why would you not make that abundantly clear on the splash page for parallels?