The Cisco VPN saga

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rmellin@gmail.com, Jan 2, 2007.

1. rmellin@gmail.com

rmellin@gmail.com Bit poster

Well,

Cisco VPN (v4.9 0050) never worked for me in none of these builds 3036, 3094, 3106 and I tried all network modes offered (bridget,host,shared).

A collegue of mine who uses the same version of OS and cisco vpn got it to work by enabling/disabling the lan interface in the win2k itself, however that trick does not work for me.
    The only difference we could determine was that his machine is macMiniIntel and mine is a iMacIntel. hmm..

Needless to say that the cisco VPN support is pretty critical for me as I need to access several win apps for work.

The good news for me is that the new Fusion VM Beta supports Cisco VPN out of the box and with no problems at all. Is there any way to give the network support in Parallels more attention? I love the Coherence mode but I would hate to give up Parallels because of this cisco issue.

__reimer

2. jesse

jesse Bit poster

Hi Reimer,

I've had the same version of Cisco VPN working for a few months with build 1970, using bridged mode.

It worked right away with the default install of build 1970, windows XP as my guest OS and a default install of Cisco VPN.

Try build 1970, because maybe it's an issue with the newer builds. If not then it must be something specific to your situations.

3. rjbailey

rjbailey Member

Are you saying you're using the Cisco VPN in Mac OS and attempting to use it for your Windows session in Parallels? The alternative is to use the Windows client within the Windows/Parallels session. This has always worked for me. I've also been able to use *both* the OSX and Windows clients at the same time.

4. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

I have the Cisco VPN client installed in my XP VM. Worked right from the beginning with the same install procedures I've used on my XP desktop at home and XP Laptop. I don't run any VPN software on the Mac side.

5. aberrant

aberrant Junior Member

Seconded. Using Cisco VPN client from an XP image in Parallels with no problem - it was moved over when I transported my old image from an IBM Thinkpad.

6. alvins

alvins Junior Member

I have also used the CiscoVPN on xp image. Also have the vista cisco vpn client and that also works in vista image.

7. Junyor

Junyor Junior Member

I can't get Windows to use OS X's VPN connection, but I can get connected to my VPN in both Windows and OS X simultaneously. That started working when I upgraded to 2.5 Beta 1, IINM. Others have reported that getting Windows to use OS X's VPN connection works for them.

I'm using a 15" MacBook Pro, FWIW.

8. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I use Cisco VPN for Mac OS X and it provides VPN services for all bridged guest hosts. It seems to me to be the logical layer for providing VPN services.