Problems Installing Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by biglar, Feb 23, 2009.

1. biglar

biglar Pro

My 4.0 version (latest build) of Parallels has been working well until recently. All of a sudden the Coherence switch is disabled (the drop downs greyed out) and will not work. The size of my screen, which has fit my mac, suddenly is larger.

I uninstalled Parallels Desktop and uninstalled Parallels Tools from Windows and reinstalled Parallels ok. However, Parallels Tools won't load giving me an error saying Windows could not locate the installer for mouse, the mouse driver won't load, and the class installer registry item is invalid. The Parallels Mouse Synchronization device is installed (4.0.3813.40912), but I cannot uninstall it or do anything with it because I get a message saying windows cannot locate the installer for mouse.

I tried reinstalling Parallels Tools several times but keep getting the messages about no installer and registry item invalid. I also tried unchecking the capture and replace mouse pointer item in configure, but that did not help.

I am using Windows XP Home all updates, latest version of Leopard and a Mac Intel 2.16 ghb intel core 2 due with 4 gb ram.

Ideas on how to fix?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. Srinivasulu.V

Srinivasulu.V Hunter

Hello,
    Please try to install parallels tools manually by following the below mentioned steps - :

1. Open finder
    2. Click on Macintosh hard disk ->Parallels tools - >win.ISO
    3. Double click on it, and the new window opens
    4. Copy the setup.exe file, copy this file on a external hard drive like thumb drive or flash drive.
    5. Launch Virtual machine and paste the setup.exe file on the windows desktop
    6. Double click on the file and run it.
    7. It will start installing parallels tools

3. biglar

biglar Pro

Thanks for your prompt reply. I did as you said and installed Tools from Windows desktop. Same problem.
    Perhaps I was not clear in my first post: Parallels Tools will start installing and hangs up at the last minute with the statement:

Windows could not locate the installer for mouse. Contact your hardware vendor.

When I click ok, the installer errors and gives me the following message:

The class installer registry item is invalid.

See attached message.

When I go to system devices in Control Panel the Parallems Mouse Synchronization device is there and seems to be installed. If I try to uninstall it, I get the message mouse installer cannot be loaded. Any further ideas? This is the first problem I have had with Parallels 4; it has been running since November fine.

Regards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  4. biglar

biglar Pro

I think I may have found the problem. When I reinstalled parallels I downloaded the program from your site, as I had not saved the file. I downloaded v 3810. However, I had previously loaded 3813. I note that the Parallels Mouse Sync Device is showing version 4.0 3813 12/29/09. This is the one I cannot uninstall due to not finding the installer device. Do you have link for v 3813. I can try this to see if it works.

5. Srinivasulu.V

Srinivasulu.V Hunter

Hello,

The issue you are facing may be resolved by installing the drivers from cd you must have got along with the Mouse you purchased. However, if you do not the drivers CD, you may make a note of the Mouse model you have and then download the same from the Mouse manufacturer's web site.

6. biglar

biglar Pro

I am using the default mouse that comes with the apple imac.

7. biglar

biglar Pro

I'm continuing to have problems. I used a backup copy of my vm and got parallels tools working again, but Coherence is greyed out and not working. To fix this again, I uninstalled Parallels Tools and reinstalled again. Guess what?
    I have the same problem as before. Parallels Tools locks up and gives me the same problem as noted above. Everything works but for the features in Parallels Tools. I have tried suggestions above, cleaning windows registry, reinstalling, etc. etc. Now I'm a little frustrated. Any ideas? Maybe the problem is because of the Coherence failure?

Regards.

8. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

9. biglar

biglar Pro

I have accomplished what you suggested with no resolve to the problem:
    1. My mouse is working ok.
    2. Parallels Tools is not installed.
    3. When I try to update the mouse driver I get the "Windows could not locate the installer for mouse. Contact your hardware vendor." message and cannot update the driver. This message still occurs whatever I do, and when Parallels Tools fails I get the explanation "The class installer registry item is invalid."
    4. Parallels Tools install fails at this point.

Regards.
    5. Coherence does not work.

10. biglar

biglar Pro

My problem report is 682630. Could I have some further help please?

Regards.

11. GraemeW

GraemeW Bit poster

I've got exactly the same problem. Did you manage to resolve it?

12. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please follow the steps below in order to resolve the issue:

First of all, please clear the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp on Windows side to remove all the information kept by Windows installer. Now, follow the steps below:
    1. Go to C:\Program Files\Parallels and delete the "Parallels Tools" folder;
    2. Click "Start" -> "Run" and type regedit. Hit OK.
    3. In Registry Editor, go to My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Parallels and delete the "Parallels Tools" entry.
    4. Reboot Windows;
    5. Make sure that Tools do not get installed again and install them from Virtual Machine menu.

Also, please delete any antivirus, if you have any.

13. GraemeW

GraemeW Bit poster

Thanks, but I'm still getting the same problem.

After following the steps you provided (exactly, to the letter) the Parallel Tools installer gets as far as 'copying new files' and then displays a message box 'Windows could not load the installer for Mouse. Please contact your hardware vendor for assistance.'

Click Ok, status changes to 'registering product' in the installer, then same message box.

Click Ok message is displayed again immediately.

Click Ok again, ditto.

Click Ok and the Hardware Update Wizard is displayed with the message "There was a problem installing this hardware: Parallels Mouse Synchronization Device. An error occured during the installation of the device. The class installer registry entry is invalid."

Click Finish. Installation rolls back.

My hardware is a MacBook Pro.

14. JennyT

JennyT Bit poster

I'm having this same issue too. MacBook Pro, Parallels 4.0