Vista Business - Clean Shutdown ?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Lawrence Keyes, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Lawrence Keyes

Lawrence Keyes Bit poster

I've got Visa Business running on my iMac, with Parallels 4.0 and it seems to work pretty well except... it doesn't seem to cleanly shut down; when I restart it, it always stops at the screen asking whether I want to boot into safe mode.

Do I just have to live with this, and diligently use the Vista shutdown button each time, or is there some reason the Parallels shutdown button isn't working correctly?

TIA

2. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Lawrence Keyes,

If you have installed Parallels Tools, then there should be a Shut Down option in the Virtual Machine menu (not Stop, as this is a rough equivalent of pulling the cord of a computer). Shutting down the virtual machine via Start menu is always a safe option.

3. Lawrence Keyes

Lawrence Keyes Bit poster

Hi..I do have the tools installed. I think the mystery is solved. If I press the "Shut Down" button, Parallels does indeed send a shutdown command to Windows, and Windows begins the shutdown process.

What confused me is that at the same time there is a message at the bottom of the Parallels window that says "Click Shut Down" again to stop the virtual machine."

I've gotten very literal in my advanced age....and I guess I thought that this was a safety measure, (to require two clicks) before Parallels would actually shut down Windows. And since Windows takes so bloody long to do anything anyway, it was looking to me that I would click Shut Down once and and nothing seemed to be happening. So, I'd go ahead and click again, which would perform the Stop.

Leave it to Microsoft to have Shut Down and Stop mean two different things....or even more perversely, require that to Stop, you click Start.