Unable to Instal Garmin USB Driver...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by zowensby, Nov 22, 2008.

1. zowensby

zowensby Bit poster

Hello,

I am unable to instal the USB driver for my Garmin 495 (USBDrivers_221.exe). The driver installer window opens, but it and/or Windows XP is unable to recognize when the hardware is plugged in. However, Parallels Desktop 4x does inconsitantly notice the Garmin in the USB Staus Bar, but never the USB Configuration. WTF?

So far I have assured that Windows XP is up to date and I am using the most recent USB driver from Garmin. I have even tried to force a driver installation via the Windows Hardware Wizard, but no Garmin device found there either. This driver installed and worked well in Parallels Desktop 3x, as well as the Garmin easily connects to the Mac OS X side. The same driver also easily installs on another Mac when Apple's Bootcamp is used.

Just my luck. What connectivity I gained by upgrading from Parallels Desktop 3x to 4x, I lost the use of other devices. Too bad that Windows really is a ball and chain for my work. Otherwise, i would have left it behind years ago!

Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal. (Albert Einstein, 1941),
    Dr. Z.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Update was published , which is right now available at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764
    The most of problem were fixed.
    Please navigate to that link, and download build 3540
    In post there are various instructions, how to fix problems.

3. zowensby

zowensby Bit poster

Hello,

It does look like there are allot of problems fixed in Build 3540, but not the one that I am having. Maybe the next version. Then again, that is what I have been saying since Parallels Desktop 2x. Problems get fixed and others surface. Never once completely issue free. Still the best software for the job, though.

Maybe that is just the nature of a WinDoze emulator for the Mac. Like my trying to talk to my mother-in-law. Always a miscommunication somewhere.

Mo' microchips than sense,
    Dr. Z.

4. Macaby

Macaby Member

Just curious as to why when I run "check for latest update", it says I have the latest version. Yet the link below says
    the latest version is. 3540. My version is 3522 which I'm very happy with.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764

5. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Hi, zowensby.

Please, generate problem report in your PD4.0.
    Do it right after you connect your device to virtual machine and discover some problem in device work.
    Then, send this problem report to our server (just press send button in problem report generation window)
    And post the problem report number here.
    Thanks.

6. Donald Dunbar

Donald Dunbar Bit poster

FYI - I've had a very similar experience attempting to install drivers for my Edge 705 with Parallels Build 4.0.3810. I downloaded the latest drivers from Garmin and tried installing them under Windows XP. After connecting the 705 to a USB port after the software prompt, Parallels asks which machine I want it connected to. I select The Virtual Machine and it is then listed as "Garmin International - Composite" in Parallel's list of USB devices. It is not visible to Windows, however, and the New Hardware Wizard doesn't start as required by the installation software.

7. Macaby

Macaby Member

If you're trying to update a Garmin from within Parallels, why not just do in on the OS-X side of the equation?

8. Donald Dunbar

Donald Dunbar Bit poster

Good question - that would definitely be my preference. Unfortunately, I'm having a separate problem using Garmin's Mapinstall app. It's not working for me. After trying to load maps to my Edge 705 it fails with: "There was a problem while installing maps on your device. Ensure that the device is plugged in and turned on, and try again." I've tried a hard reset on the GPS with no luck. The GPS is visible on my Mac but for some reason the s/w doesn't work. I am able to load maps using MapSource on a real PC, however.