Had to reinstall MacOSX. Lost ability to use parallels.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Vic, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Vic

Vic Bit poster

I had to reinstall my Mac OS X. This caused my Parallels to loose contact w/ something so I could not open it. I am afraid to uninstall as I don't want to lose my data on my WinXP Virtual Machine. I tried to install again (w/o uninstalling) and Parallels asked for my activation number. However, it would not accept the number - perhaps this is b/c my initial installation is still active and Parallels won't let two installs be activated under the same serial number.

In any case, I am at a loss as how to proceed in order to get back to my Windows desktop. I have to go to work tomorrow and utilize this desktop, so I am frustrated as to how to proceed.

Can I uninstall and then reinstall? Will this cause me to lose my Windows desktop? I don't think I closed the windows machine before closing Parallels, to add further dismay to the situation. I thought that my Parallel info would be saved on my Mac somewhere- I found the programs, but not the data files. Is this somewhere so I can back it up????

How do I get this program running again?

So many questions... I appreciate any help I can get.

Vic

2. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

When you "reinstalled", did you erase your HD? If so, yes you either have to re-install everything - including Parallels - from scratch, or find some kind of unerase utility that can locate your earlier configuration so you can back up accordingly.

If you merely overwrote your core system files but left the rest of your HD intact that may necessitate a less drastic step.

Of course I am shooting in the dark to some extent. But exactly what you meant by your phrase "reinstall my MAC OS X" matters a lot.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  3. Vic

Vic Bit poster

John-

I did an archive and install. I did not erase my HD. Also, I installed Parallels again w/o uninstalling. When I try to open Parallels it asks me to activate. When I put in my serial number, it says: "The activation key is valid, but error was occurred while saving license file /Library/Parallels/.parallels_license_2.5. Please make sure you have proper permissions to activate a product!"

I am at a loss as how to proceed since it won't take my serial #. I've been told I need to reinstall Parallel Tools, but I think has to be done from the VM, and I can't get to the VM at this point.

Any help is much appreciated!

4. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

witch build off parallels did you install?

Try to check your permissions in max os (diskutilities)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  5. Christopher Janney

Christopher Janney Junior Member

I'm having the same problem as the original post.

I had to reinstall my Mac OS because of a disk error. I backed up my person home page files, and did an erase disk and reinstalled my Mac OS, and then decided while I'm at it to simply upgrade from Tiger to Leopard 10.5.6.

This was all done via Applecare tech support. It is my understanding that the original system files couldn't be saved and were erased. I was told I'd have to reinstall some 3rd party applications. I guess I do. This is the message I get when trying to start Parallels 3.x:

"Parallels Desktop is unable to operate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Try to restart the application to overcome this issue. If restart doesn't help, re-install Parallels Desktop. Note that Parallels drivers require a short time to be properly started and initialized. So you may need to wait a minute before trying to launch the application."

I am nervous to reinstall Parallels because I don't want to lose any of my VM data, Windows XP home, or programs.

I've emailed tech support 3X and haven't heard back from them. The first one was over a week ago.

Does anyone know if I simply try to insert my Parallels install disk and reinstall it, will I lose data and programs on my VM? Will I lose my VM?

This all started because I was trying to upgrade to Parallels 4.0 and decided to clean up my iMac with Disk Utility first. I have not yet been able to upgrade to Parallels 4.0 either.

Many Thanks,.
    Chris

6. galochka

galochka Hunter

Dear Christopher Janney,

Please vote that reinstallation/upgrade does not effect on Virtual machines. Be safe you wont loose your data.

According the issue please do the following:
    1) Please reinstall Parallels Desktop by the following KB article:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790

2) Here is the direct download link to our latest build, use it to reinstall the application:

http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/GA/Parallels-Desktop-5626-Mac-en.dmg
    After that please reinstall Parallels Tools:

1. Launch Windows Guest OS.
    2. Open Add/Remove programs control panel in Windows and remove Parallels Tools if present.
    3. Reboot Windows XP guest OS.
    4. Install Parallels Tools using "Install Parallels Tools" menu item in the Action menu of the Parallels Desktop application.
    5. Reboot Windows one more time.

7. Christopher Janney

Christopher Janney Junior Member