Windows 98 Driver Install?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by benburch, Nov 14, 2008.

1. benburch

benburch Junior Member

OK, it would not import my old VM; It would do a scandisk and then have a fatal error.

So I installed a new one, but how do I get the drivers installed?

Any help appreciated!

2. eread

eread Member

There is a video driver in there you can install manually (after you run Install Parallels Tools). The other drivers appear missing. There is a new PD4 version out which might fix this.

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

4. eread

eread Member

The new Build (3540) doesn't seem to have a proper Parallels Tools install for Win98. Still no setup.exe - just video drivers (and some OS2 drivers).

5. eread

eread Member

Bump. Anyone else trying Win98?

6. slk

slk Junior Member

The word from tech support

After the 3540 release, I figured I'd send a simple question to tech support:
    Where is the Win98 sound driver? I`ve found the video driver in prl-tools-other.iso, but no sound driver.

The reply:
    "Dear customer,
    As you have installed the windows 98 in the virtual machine, it is advised by Microsoft to use Windows XP in order to get better support.
    You can easily upgrade to windows XP for a fee.
    Parallels also supports Windows versions from Windows XP and later editions."

I pursued the question by asking if a Win98SE sound driver existed for Parallels 4.0, and was advised to reinstall Parallel Tools. Parallels Tools doesn't exist for Win98SE in Parallels 4.0 (Win98SE is no longer in the list of supported OS's for Parallels Tools).

7. eread

eread Member

Wow. I guess I should have seen that coming.

8. ArdVan

ArdVan Bit poster

I have use Windows 98. It works better with Parallels 3. But Parallels Desktop 4 is like a new PC-Hardware. First it searches all PCI stuff again. CD-ROM works only if not booting until desktop is visible. Video driver works only once after installation. After that I can't reboot or shutdown properly. It freezes windows.

9. slk

slk Junior Member

Sound and Video success in Win98SE in Parallels 4.0

Tech support didn't give up on me and eventually gave me the specs for the Intel drivers I needed, which I then hunted up on VersionTracker (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/79238). It's a nice comprehensive package, but I couldn't get any Win98SE drivers to install beyond what the executable did, which didn't include sound or video. You may have better luck.

So I finally went back to my original plan: open up Time Machine and pull the vmtools.iso out of the Parallels 3 Tools folder (/Library/Parallels/Tools) and loaded it in the virtual CD drive. Parallels Tools installation worked out of the box, though I had to install sound and video manually (as was always the case with Win98, I believe). This is the Parallels _3_ Tools .iso in a Win98SE virtual machine created (not imported) in Parallels _4_, on an early 2006 MacBook Pro, Core Duo 2.0Ghz.

10. benburch

benburch Junior Member

I'd like to express my disappointment in reading that W-98 is no longer supported. Part of the reason for using a virtualized machine is to be able to have a suite of systems in which to test things, and I absolutely have to test things in Windows-98. Please consider making this a supported system again.

11. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, benburch,

Our Development team is aware about the issue, I have reminded them one more time per your request.
    The investigation is in progress, so we expect some positive result.

12. Clem

Clem Bit poster

Dear Data & Team!

I run Parallels 4 under OSX 10.4.11. - I did not upgrade and so do not own Parallels Version 3.

I have a problem in VM Windows 98 (I guess, it has something to do with the Tools, which I could not install):

I am not able to change monitor resolution and colors.

Max. resolution is 640x480 and max colors are 16.

I am not able to install my software as it requires higher resolution and colors.

Thanks for any suggestions and your help!!!

Best regards,

Clem

13. jbh001

jbh001 Member

You can still download a previous build (5608) of Parallels at the link below (for now). Whether or not your product key will work with it or you will be able to extract the 3.0 version of Parallels Tools or other Windows 98 drivers is another matter. Best of luck.

http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/GA/Parallels-Desktop-5608-Mac-en.dmg

14. pingaloca1

pingaloca1 Junior Member

I just want to say that what I just read about windows 98 not being supported on parallels 4 sucks big time. I upgraded from Parallels 3 and I wouldn't have Paid for the upgrade to 4 knowing this. Why remove something as simple as drivers in parallels tools??

15. eread

eread Member

We still hold out hope that the next build of PD4 will have support returned.

16. wad11656

wad11656 Bit poster

Me too. Please do!

17. benburch

benburch Junior Member

Any updates here? I would really like to be able to use Parallels 4.

18. slk

slk Junior Member

Still waiting, too. Using the 3.0 Win98 drivers in 4.0 is not a solution, just a work-around to get incomplete audio and video support. There is worthwhile Win98 software which does not run in later OS's.

19. slk

slk Junior Member

Any luck with Parallels 5?

Anyone able to get Win98 SE sound in Parallels 5 (with or without the Parallels 3 drivers)?

20. slk

slk Junior Member

Windows 98 SE sound in Parallels 5

I got Win98SE sound in Parallels 4 using the Parallels 3 sound driver, but lost it when I converted the machine to Parallels 5. Building a new Win98SE machine from scratch in Parallels 5 didn't help, though in both cases the sound light at the bottom of the VM window lit yellow. I tried several AC'97 drivers out there, including ones from Intel.com and ones listed for Win98, but the one that worked for me is the "Avance AC97 Audio" driver in this package: sp22521.exe, which I found at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...s&os=228&tool=softwareCategory&product=213896 . HP lists the package as "Presario Avance AC'97 VIA Audio Controller Driver for Windows XP," which it contains, but it also has a second driver, which you can choose after clicking the "Have Disk" button and selecting the folder you dumped the package to. It's simply called "Avance AC97 Audio," version 5.10.0.3930, dated June 22, 2002, for the Intel 82801BA audio controller, using (and I bet this is the important part :) the AC97 codec ALC200. It comes with a pretty sweet little control panel of its own; you not only get sound, but you can make it echo like a cave, to boot!

I'm running this on the first MacBook Pro model (early 2006), with a 2.0 Ghz Core Duo.