Windows 7 support

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by athatai, Jan 11, 2009.

1. athatai

athatai Bit poster

Hi all,

First time poster on the forum..Has anyone installed windows 7 beta on Parallels for Windows? I got the OS up and running but there is no option for Windows 7 or Windows 2008. I chose Vista ( being the closest) but the host O/S network is not detected.

Thanks!

2. quattrocoupe

quattrocoupe Bit poster

HI
    I created a Win7 VM. If you upgrade to the latest build of Parallels, the option for Win7 will be there.

So far, seems to be working well. Have to figure out some things in Win7

JB

3. athatai

athatai Bit poster

quattrocoupe,

Are you running it on a mac? I have the parallels for windows version
    On a sidenote, after several tries, I was able to get Windows7 running in Virtualbox.

4. JPeterman

JPeterman Bit poster

I have Win 7 as a client using Parallels Workstation for Windows 2.2.2204. There was no option for Win 7. I think I went with "other windows" option. The Win7 client works. However, drivers for network, sound, and "other PCI bridge device" are not loaded. Guest OS is stable but Aero doesn't seem to be enabled, probably due to the generic video driver.

5. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,

Parallels Workstation does not support Windows 7 as a guest/host OS. Please check the list of supprted operating systems in the user guide.

6. dracnath

dracnath Bit poster

Are there are any plans to support the beta?

7. quattrocoupe

quattrocoupe Bit poster

I am running parallels 4 on both a macbook pro and iMac. I have created a clean install of WM7 and an upgrade from XP to Vista to Win 7. All went relatively smoothly (upgrading was a bit of a challenge, but after removing AV software then telling the VM the OS was Vista, upgrade went very smoothly from XP to Vista).

JB

8. Big-G

Big-G Bit poster

I am testing Windows 7 Beta, which appers to work well, however I have no network connectivity because I am unable to install Parallels tools. When PRLTOOLS.EXE is run, either from the guest OS CD-ROM, or from the Program options 'VM ...Install Parallels Tools' option the installation begins, then stops saying it can only be automatically installed if running an NT Based system, and adding that I should install Parallel tools manually. When I consult the user manual it instructions for manual installation seems to be to run PrLtools.exe from the CD-ROM, which I have done. Can you please clarify the procedure to install Parallel Tools manually, and any specific instructions that may pertain to running Windows 7 Beta as a Guest. Are there plans to support this, It appears to be supported in Parallels workstation for MAC, but not in my Workstations 2.2 build 2204.

9. Salamat

Salamat Member

That's the same message I had with PD3. Maybe you can get your network working in the same way I did....
    Click Install Parallels Tools, which will mount the iso image
    Go to Control Panel/Hardware and find your Network Card. Right click, select update driver. Direct it to the mounted iso image and it should find the network drivers.
    Once that's up and running, Windows Update should locate sound drivers for you.
    Hope it works for you
    Salamat

10. Big-G

Big-G Bit poster

Thanks, that advice helped a lot, in so far as I was able to see and activate my network interface, however having now added the Realtek ethernet device there is an IP address conflict, so I guess I need to resolve this, the VM networking settings are the same as for my VM XP setup, also a quick lok at the parallels KB does not provide a suggestuion, however as I can only spend 20-30 minutes at a time it might take a little time to resolve, so if you or anyone else, has any tips, I'd be grateful for any help.

11. enigmafyv

enigmafyv Bit poster

I too had the same problem with Parallels 3.0 for Mac (Build 5608). I ended up figuring out how to add my NIC with no problems, but I had troubles at first with my sound card. I ended up performing a Windows Update which detected the audio and installed it no problem. Now all I have left is the "Other PCI Bridge Device" left in my DM. Has anyone got this to install and if so, where did you locate the drivers for this? I'm not even sure what this device is right off hand.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

TIA

-E

12. JPeterman

JPeterman Bit poster

FYI, this is a Parallels Workstation for Windows & Linux thread. I think you're Mac discussion should be moved to the Parallels Desktop for Mac thread.

13. enigmafyv

enigmafyv Bit poster

Point taken, but Mac is a derivative of Unix as is Linux so it still can apply.

14. dpatp

dpatp Member

parallels no longer supporting Windows users?

Obviously Parallels is putting their development efforts into their Mac customer base. Are you going to support Windows users?

Testing a new OS is one of the main purposes for virtualization!

15. Giora Hadar

Giora Hadar Bit poster

I'm running Windows 7 Beta RC1 on top of Parallels 4 (clean install). I'm not able to connect to the Internet nor can I install Parallel Tools. Tech Support gave me instructions, but they don't work. Can anyone help?