Help in installing Win XP Pro on MAC using Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by venkatk@1, Feb 19, 2009.

1. venkatk@1

venkatk@1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I bought Windows XP Professional SP3 CD and trying to install it on Macbook using Parallels software.

After installing Parallels software, halfway through Windows XP installation, I got this error message:
    "Setup cannot find a previous version of Windows installed on your computer. To continue, setup needs to verify that you qualify to use this upgrade product.
    Please insert one of the following Windows product CDs into the CD-ROM drive: Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows XP Professional/Windows 2000 Pro/Windows Milenium etc.
    When CD is in the drive, press ENTER
    To quit Setup, Press F3."

Please help me resolve this error. My CD is a valid one which I bought from University store.

Thanks,
    Venkat

2. Peter Canasius J L

Peter Canasius J L Forum Maven

Hi Venkat,

The First Installation of the Windows on your Parallels Desktop should always be a Windows Full Version CD.
    You are unable to install this Windows is because the Windows SP3 CD that you have purchased is an Upgrade Version and not a Full Version. Service Packs are always upgrade of the full Version.
    That is why Parallels pops up the error message asking you to insert the Windows CD that has Full Version in it.
    It would be better if you could get this exchanged from the University Store.

3. jacquot

jacquot Bit poster

me too!

I am having exactly the same problem. I spoke to Microsoft Volume Licensing Services and they assured me that what I have is the full version of Windows. The title on the disk is "Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3".

4. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello,

It is starnge in general.

Please try to create ISO disk image (probable that will help you): http://kb.parallels.com/en/4917

Also try to install Windows and at the beginning on installation: select Type: windows and Version: other windows

Please infor me that it helps.

Also is it possible to test it on real PC? will you install Windows with this disk?

5. jacquot

jacquot Bit poster

I did try creating an iso disk (I think--I used the Mac utility to copy the image onto the desktop and revised the extension to .iso, as directed in instructions I found on the parallels help) but it wasn't bootable.

I will not be installing Windows on a PC because once I get the Mac going, the doorstop PC is going to an electronics recycling station.

I will try "other windows" tonight.

Jacquot

6. venkatk@1

venkatk@1 Bit poster

Thanks for your reply.
    I tried both the options (creating the iso image and starting with "Other Windows" option).
    Both did not work. I am still getting the same error. Is there any other way?
    Does Windows Vista SP1 work?

7. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

venkatk@1,

By what you are saying, the CD you have is an upgrade CD. You need to have the CD's from the previous versions, that the message tells you, in order to install it.

On Vista, it works on Parallels Desktop 4, you can just install it, setting the OS type accordingly. As for Parallels Desktop 3, you might find the following articles useful:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4729
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5023

8. jacquot

jacquot Bit poster

My CD, according to Microsoft, is actually the full version, not just SP3. They checked this over the phone by the number on the reverse of the disk. As I said before, it is labelled "Windows XP Professional With SP3" and the technical institute shop where I got it says no one else has reported any problems. I really don't want to go to Vista because then I will have to replace my printer too, plus any software I have that isn't Vista-compatible (that works with XP).

9. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Do you have a support ticket created on this issue? If not please create one at:

http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/

Submit a free e-mail support request.

In any case, please provide your ticket number here.

10. Sam Abramovich

Sam Abramovich Bit poster

Same Problem

I have the same problem. The XP Cd works fine in any other situation.

11. jacquot

jacquot Bit poster

My ticket number is 684744. I am hoping this problem will be resolved soon so I can complete my switch to my new iMac. I note that my colleague who recommended Parallels had no problems at all installing Parallels 3.x and Windows XP (presumably with SP2) last fall.

12. Sam Abramovich

please let me know your solution when you get one.

13. FrankBradley

FrankBradley Bit poster

I found that a quick solution to this issue was to use the OTHER OS installation option, it is a little more complex but it has worked for myself.

frank

14. barrymaine

barrymaine Bit poster

I have Parallels 4.0.3 and previously had 3.xx. SP3 for XP did NOT work on Parallels 3. Does it work on 4.0.3?

15. jacquot

jacquot Bit poster

I borrowed a copy of Windows XP Pro With SP2 from a colleague and installed it using the product key that came with my (Windows XP Pro With SP3) CD. It installed just fine, no problem. I then downloaded SP3 from Windows Update. Now I just have to figure out how to use the virtual machine (it's not obvious).

16. Sam Abramovich

No problem with Vista

Also, I had no problem with Vista. So it seems like the problem is just Windows XP with SP3 already bundled in the install (at least on Parallels 3).

17. Paul McCarthy

Paul McCarthy Bit poster

I have had the same problem and have submitted a ticket to Parallels support # 700881. I would appreciate any help I can get here, pretty disappointed its not working! I have the full version "Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3" and I tried both the iso image and other windows solutions mentioned above to no avail?

Any other ideas out there?

18. Sam Abramovich

As stated above, I also know people who have had success with 'OTHER OS' as the installation method. I know of no other solutions.

19. MarkS

MarkS Bit poster

I have a Problem with my installation of WIndows XP Pro SP3 as well. I do get it to load but it gives me a big stamp on the screen stating "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows validation." This is a brand new legal full copy! Parallels seams to have a problem, or has Windows thrown a bug in to screw with Apple using their program?

Please help!

20. Melanie

Melanie Bit poster

Same problem

Hi,

I am having this same problem. Parallels keeps giving me : "setup cannot find a previous version of windows installed on your computer. To continue, setup needs to verify that you qualify to use this upgrade product..." I have communicated with the University as I purchased Windows XP with SP3 from them. It is a fully functional cd on other computers. It is clearly indicated that it is a full version and everyone included Microsoft, tells me that it is a full version. I will try installing it as other os. I have tried almost everything and can't figure out what is wrong.

Please help!