The USB device cannot be connected (Blackberry 8830)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by hulya eraslan, Mar 6, 2009.

1. hulya eraslan

hulya eraslan Bit poster

When I try to connect my Blackberry by clicking on the
    Devices->USB-> "Research in Motion - Blackberry Handheld"

I get

"The USB device cannot be connected.

There are no virtual USB host controller ports available in the virtual machine for the `Research in Motion - Blackberry Handheld' devide to be connected."

I have tried all the possible choices under Preferences->USB to fix this. I have also searched for the forums. I only found one other person who had the same problem. S/he solved it by removing other USB connections. I don't have any other.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Statman

Statman Member

I had this same problem...so I am trying to remember what I did...

First, disconnect the BB. Then go to virtual machine>reset and reset the vm.

Restart windows. Connect BB (and click on usb>RIM). You should get the notices a new device has been added. Start BB DeskTop Manager....and you should be good to go. The problem I found was related to suspending the vm....do NOT do this...always shut down the vm (windows requires this to maintain settings).

3. hulya eraslan

hulya eraslan Bit poster

Thank you for the response. I have tried this. Unfortunately nothing happens when I do it. In particular, after connecting BB, I do not get notice that a new device has been added.

4. hulya eraslan

hulya eraslan Bit poster

My first reply did not appear yet, but I would like to add two more observations. Previously, I used to get
    "There are no virtual USB host controller ports available in the virtual machine for the `Research in Motion - Blackberry Handheld' devide to be connected." as soon as I tried to connect BB (even though no other device was connected).

Now, after the reset, nothing happens when no other USB device is connected. But if I connect, say Apple IR Receiver, from the list of USB devices (which connects successfully) first, and then try to connect, I get the above error message again.

5. hulya eraslan

hulya eraslan Bit poster

Yet another change. I disconnected and connected back the BB again (with no reset). I know get the
    "There are no virtual USB host controller ports available in the virtual machine for the `Research in Motion - Blackberry Handheld' devide to be connected." error message immediately when I click on usb->RIM.

6. Statman

Statman Member

hulya...I know this is frustrating. It was so bad for me that I actually purchased another internal drive to load bootcamp on. What BB software version are you running? What DM version are you running?

I would do the following:

1. remove all RIM software from your computer (this includes the DM)
    2. Reset the virtual machine again
    3. restart windows
    4. Download and re-install the RIM software
    5. restart windows, go to devices>usb...there should be no RIM showing yet
    6. connect BB, be patient....your computer should recognize a new device...and eventually tell you it is now available
    7. go to devices>usb>RIM

I'll cross my fingers for you. Remember to not use suspend and always use stop or shutdown windows.

7. Statman

Statman Member

Switch item #7 and #6...sorry.