Parallels Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by imok, Mar 6, 2009.

1. imok

imok Junior Member

Just bought my first ever Mac a nice MacBook 13" with 4GB but still need Windows unfortunately.

Just some simple questions:

1) I will be using Windows XP Pro. Do I need a special version of Windows to work in Parallels? Are all the drivers included in Parallels?

2) Does Parallels create a real partition for Windows or does it create a Mac file to store the Windows file system.

3) Is there a way to migrate my installed apps from my Windows based notebook (I will connect over a network) without having to reinstall all ov them all over again?

Thank you.

2. Statman

Statman Member

It just needs to be a full version (not an upgrade version) XP Pro works great.

It does not create a partition like if you were to partition the drive or use bootcamp.

Sorry can't help here...I am ignorant when it comes to windows. My guess is you will have to re-install the programs you need. I know how to do it on a mac....

3. ddahle1970

ddahle1970 Member

Congrats on switching!

Read up on Parallels Transporter - this is what you're looking for; it will create an image of your Windows installation on the Macbook.

Before setting that up, I would go over every square inch of your Windows install!
    Update Windows to the latest patches and install as many optional components from Windows Update as you desire
    Go over the full Add/Remove list and remove all those apps that you won't need once on the Mac
    Assure antivirus software and spyware cleaner(s) are installed, up to date, and a full scan has been completed
    Install and run CCleaner to clean up the registry and folders not touched by Disk Cleanup
    Run Disk Cleanup to get those files not touched by CCleaner and remove old system restore points

The whole point being:
    One, you want to be sure you won't inherit any software problems.
    (Just because Windows will be running on your Mac doesn't mean it won't be problem-free; the same cautions when using Windows STILL apply :) )
    Two, doing a app / system cleanup beforehand will reduce the amount of data that has to be imported into the new virtual machine.

A "from scratch" build may be a pain, but well worth considering if you have a retail CD - at least then you know what all you have in the virtual machine.