Trying to upgrade build 1970 to 3094 or 3106 but it fails to recognize my VM ?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sgarbs, Jan 2, 2007.

1. sgarbs

sgarbs Bit poster

Can anyone help. I have successfully installed parallels on 5 or 6 macs and never had this problem before. I have an 15" macbook pro with 1gb ram. I installed parallels 1970 and installed a copy of win xp pro sp2 full version - and activated it. I also successfully installed parallel tools for this version. I tried today to upgrade to either 3094 or 3106 and both times after double clicking on the installer - it asks what type of OS installation i want to do. I does not recognize or find the existing VM that i want to continue to use. I did NOT uninstall the current version of 1970 since that has never been necessary. How do i get it to recognize the VM during an upgrade. (it does actually say 'upgrading ' after starting the installer - and before it asks what type of OS install to do.

Just a note- between both upgrade attempts i uninstalled parallels desktop and reinstalled 1970 from the CD - and then tried the next upgrade version.

Please help someone ??

2. Fredric

Fredric Member

I experienced the same problem in updating from 1970 to 3106. The solution I finally found, when prompted for the OS was to go to the Mac finder, then open User name, then Library, and then the Parallels folder. In it there are a few files, one of which is a .pvs file. When I double clicked on that it launched the VM I had been using.
    Hope this works for you.

3. sgarbs

sgarbs Bit poster

I will try this -

Thanks for getting back to me...Ill try this tomorrow in the office.
    Did it resolve the problem going fwd as well ? Does the VM open everytime you open the upgrade of parallels now ?

scott

4. Fredric

Fredric Member

Yes it does. Please let us know if it works for you.