USB device worked w/v3, does not with v4

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Ray Dosh, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Ray Dosh

Ray Dosh Member

I have a device (eLogger V3 from Eagle Tree Systems) that worked with Parallels Desktop v3 but does not work with v4. This is a data logger that links to a Windows app to review that data. It has a light that blinks to indicate its status. It will blink three times in sequence to indicate that it is properly communicating with a USB controller. When connecting with the program under Parallels v4, I will initially get the proper blinking sequence...until I click in the dialog box that I want it connected to the virtual machine. Then I get an error sequence. If I connect it to the Mac, it keeps blinking properly but that doesn't do me any good. I have removed and reinstalled the software (several times) and I have removed and reinstalled the Windows USB drivers (USB, USB2, and both hubs).

I'm running Windows XP Home 2002 SP3 in Parallels Desktop V4 (build 3810) on a 15" MacBook Pro (late 2006 model).

2. Peter Canasius J L

Peter Canasius J L Forum Maven

Hi Ray Dosh,

1) Go to Control Panel => Click on Security Center and turn off Windows Firewall and also Anti virus.
    2) Please disable the Parallel Internet security (Kaspersky).
    3) Go to Control Panel => go to Add or remove Programs => Remove Parallel tools completely.
    4) After the Parallel tools are removed then start the Windows . On the Menu bar click on Virtual machine.
    5) Click on install Parallel tools.
    6) Click on Continue and proceed with the installation.
    7) This is a time consuming process so i would request you to kindly keep a check if you get the confirmation message that " Parallel tools are successfully installed."
    8) Restart the Windows Operating System and restart also the Mac.

Check if this has resolved the issue.

3. Ray Dosh

Ray Dosh Member

Peter, thanks for your suggestions but, it didn't work. I followed your instructions almost to the letter (rebooted Windows and then shut down again before rebooting the Mac; uninstalling Parallels tools prompted me to reboot afterward), but, no luck.

4. Menace

Menace Bit poster

Peter, is this a tipp for all problems we have with Parallels?

The same advice was given when I had problems with the page file which didn`t help either :) .

5. Justn Gramm

Justn Gramm Bit poster

I am having the same exact problems. I have an external drive attached via USB that worked fine in 3.x but does not work at all in 4. If I attach it to the VM, I just get "Unknown Device" in the USB Controllers. As I've seen a lot of posts dealing with USB issues, I have to imagine they hosed something up with it in 4. Still searching the forums hoping to find an answer...

6. Tim Senecal

Tim Senecal Bit poster

I am having this exact same problem vis-a-vis parallels 3 vs parallels 4

I have tried the steps listed by Peter Canasius in post #2, to no avail.

the eagle tree datalogger does not show up as available when running the eagle tree software.

In addition, I also have the Castle Creations CastleLink software and hardware, of which the software cannot see the hardware.

both of these USB devices worked flawlessly for months using Parallels 3.

both of these USB devices work flawlessly in boot camp

7. Alan Somers

Alan Somers Bit poster

I'm having the same issue. I hope there's a fix.

8. texeter

texeter Member

This subject appears in other threads as well: This problem has existed since release 4 of Parallels but so far we haven't had a single response from the developers regarding when we might expect a fix. One begins to wonder whether or not they read these forum entries.

9. Alan Somers

Alan Somers Bit poster

I don't know if this is significant, but I just got done going through an e-mail tech support sequence where the last thing they had me try was install build 3522, which worked. Hopefully it will get escalated.