Windows login failure

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Shon, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Shon

Shon Bit poster

I wasn't quire sure where to post this, and hopefully i give enough info for some help.
    Windows XP Pro starts up just fine. However, my network is set up so that i have to log-in to our server. I was last able to log in yesterday (thursday) morning just fine.
    Now i get this Windows Logon Message:
    "Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear, contact your system administrator for assistance."

I am able to logon just fine on other windows boxes.
    I also tried using someone else's logon. Same message.
    unfortunately im the only Mac Pro to try this on.

The only thing i can think of that changed, was a Mac Pro firmware update that was recently pushed out.

Ideas? Thanks!

Parallels Build 3214
    Mac Pro OS X 10.4.10

2. kidbrax

kidbrax Bit poster

I am getting the same issue. I just spoke with our IS guy and he had no answers. Does anybody from Parallels know if a virtual machine appears the same to the network admins as the physical machine that it was cloned from?

3. Kate

Kate Bit poster

Shon,
    is you VM transported or cloned?

If you get this error please go to Devices - Network adapter and try to switch between Shared networking and Bridged Ethernet (Default Adapter) several times, each time with a new attempt to log in.

4. kidbrax

kidbrax Bit poster

Yes, it is a cloned VM. I will try that next time it happens. It was getting dropped off the domain. I have two clones of a machine. One was for using IE6 and the other for IE7. So, I think the problem is there are two different VMs with the same computer name. Unfortunately, we don't have the rights to change the computer name.

5. Shon

Shon Bit poster

Mine is a regular VM with a fresh windows install. I got mine fixed, but I had to have a local IT company come and look at it. He said something happened both client and server side that he had to fix. Sorry I dont know more information that than.

6. pbw

pbw Member

I was running into the ""Windows cannot connect to the domain" issue with a cloned VM (an image from v2.5 converted to build 5582) and wanted to post the solution that worked for me.

I tried changing the network adapter multiple times (and in every possible combination). Even when I was assigned the correct IP and could access the Windows 2003 server via its IP address, I kept getting domain controller errors (i.e. it would ask me to update my credentials by locking/unlocking via ctrl-alt-del but it wouldn't connect to the domain controller). I finally resolved the issue by right-clicking My Computer, selecting Computer Name, clicking Network ID, and running through that wizard.

I believe the problems stemmed from a combination of using a older, cloned image and changing my domain password since the last time I used the VM.

7. JBBeaubeaux

JBBeaubeaux Junior Member

Is there a better solution to this problem than going back and forth and back and forth until I finally get logged onto my domain?

8. wurzeldo

wurzeldo Bit poster

Sorry Kate, but: Are you kidding?

I use the Virtualized XP System as a Remote Desktop driven landing zone from outside, when I'm on the road. What the heck should I do with this hint then?! I have the two choices:

a) Host System configures "Shared Networking" for the virtual (not cloned, not transported- but new generated!) XP System. In this case, I may contact the domain controller, but I only receive inside the virtual machine a private IP adress. The "Internet" is not reachable for me.

b) Same but ETH0 configured. Then I have inside the virtual XP a valid and not-private IP address, can reach the internet, but the virtual system does not see my domain controller.

So, from the outside, I either can reach my system, but then I'm not able to authorize myself correct in the domain, or I COULD be able to do so, but then I won't reach the whole system, belonging to the crummy private IP.

Any idea now?

I have been a real fan of Parallels - but at the moment, I have really some thoughts about switching the product...

Regards
    Sven

9. wurzeldo

wurzeldo Bit poster

BTW: I temporarely use as workaround a fix configuration inside the "b)-Configuration" that usually comes via DHCP. But this for sure is a pretty unstylish solution. And it's also disfavoured by our administration...

Regards
    Sven

10. JBBeaubeaux

Has this problem been resolved?

I still, every day, must switch between different connection options to finally log on to my domain.

Has anyone seen another solution or is Parallels going to fix this?

11. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

The situation is follows if you are using DHCP, it is DHCP nature to keep lease, you need to perform after connecting to another connection
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

12. JBBeaubeaux

How do you perform the ipconfig /release

How do you perform this solution you proposed? I am not familiar with the process you are suggesting.

I still have the same problem every time I try to log into my domain.

13. Bram Sniekers

Bram Sniekers Bit poster

What worked for me was removing and re-adding my virtual machine back into the domain. While I was at it, I also renamed the (virtual) computer so the DC wouldnt mix up the virtual machine and the original cloned machine.

14. JBBeaubeaux

Still no solution?

I still have this problem every day.......every day. And yes I can finally get in going back and forth... back and forth between the various controllers, but there must be a better way.

I saw the process of ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, but no one has explained how to do that. What is the process to perform this?

Help!