parallels won't boot "Boot Camp" partition

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bhagiratha, Dec 31, 2006.

1. bhagiratha

bhagiratha Member

I just did a fresh install of windows XP via Boot camp, installed boot camp drivers and then rebooted back to OS X. Installed Parallels build 3106 and got this error message.

"Paralles desktop cannot find necessary drivers to configure your boot camp partition. please refer to help>parallels desktop help> using boot camp windows xp installation for troubleshooting."

Can anyone explain this. Or do I need to install something else.
    Do I still need to install > Parallels-Tools-Bcp-1.0.3-Win.exe on the windows XP partition?

thanks

2. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

^^yeah, that happened to me a couple of hours ago..the real wind up is the fact that the F*****G manual dosen't refer to it at all!!?
    I couldn't find any reference to this on these forums at all, as i'm sure youve found out.
    I tried a clean install of parallels, right back from buuild 3030.
    Now, i don't get that message, instead i get "unable to mount bootcamp disc image" !!!
    I think until we get proper answer on these forums just have to sit tight, I'm not going to start screwing with my bootcamp partition until i know what the hell i'm doing!?Sorry couldn't be of any more help, but at least you know your not on your own...

chrisj303

3. Ainvar

Ainvar Member

I get the nice overlay and then bluescreen!! and then it reboots and tries again. This is with a fresh install of bootcamp WinXP Pro SP2 with all the fixings. I also removed Parallels and reinstalled after removing everything I could find related to parallels after running the uninstall script. Ofcourse I rebooted between everything just to help out.

4. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

Well after the error i described above, i tried a clean install of bootcamp XP. Now 50% of the time i get blue-screen-of-death, the other 50% it gets just past the welcome screen then i lose the mouse curser and the keyboard dosen't work. Oh, and sometimes it just crashes out right and re-boots.

What a complete waste of time, i undestand that this is beta release, but please come on - what a pile of shit.I can't belive it was released.
    It wouldn't be to bad if there was some sort of reliable support, but there isn't.
    From now on i'm treating parallels as i would a virus. In fact no windoze based virus has given me even half the greif this has.
    It wouldn't have nowere nere as bad, if the manual had actually been of any use - to start with i was getting error messages, and being told to refer to certain parts of the manual.- when i checked there is no mention of these errors.

very dissapointed,
    chrisj303:mad:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  5. UnbornApple

UnbornApple Bit poster

I'm also getting this message. At first I was getting an error claiming that Parallels detected multiple Windows partitions, which is doesn't support. Except I didn't have multiple Windows partitions! I was able to get rid of this error when I booted without my firewire HD plugged in (it didn't contain a Windows partition, but it did contain a FAT32 andTiger partition), but then I ended up getting the error that we're discussing here.

6. andy_vdg

andy_vdg Bit poster

I get this error message as well.

Tried updating my Bootcamp installation to a Corporate version of WinXP - bad idea. It failed saying it couldn't mount C: when I booted off the installation CD. It also somehow managed to overwrite my external HFS+ Firewire drive's boot sector with NTFS. Fortunately I was able to restore all my data using Data Rescue II.
    I then decided to start from scratch and re-created the Bootcamp partition and installed WinXP Corporate without any problems. It runs fine in Bootcamp but when I try loading it in Parallels I too get the error message described in this thread.
    Might have something to do with having multiple windows partitions (NTFS or FAT32) when installing Windows?
    After trying to run Windows in Parallels the first time and getting this error I booted back into Bootcamp and there I got a popup telling me that the Parallels Tools installation had failed. Not sure if that is helpful and I can't really see how it is possible given that I never even saw the Parallels Bios boot up.
    I hope Parallels finds out what is causing this and can fix it soon. For the time being I guess I will still have to run two installations of Windows seperately.

7. mbovaird

mbovaird Bit poster

Same thing here

It won't use my bootcamp partition either. What a pain. I've loaded and reloaded several times. Argh.

8. bhagiratha

bhagiratha Member

Today I noticed in Device Manager that there is a yellow mark next to a device called "PCI Device".

For some reason when the boot camp driver installation did not install any drivers for this particular item.
    Any body else notice that, or might know which device that is?
    I am using a 15" core 2 duo MBP.

It could be that device driver parallels is looking for.

9. andy_vdg

andy_vdg Bit poster

10. andy_vdg

andy_vdg Bit poster

I still had some problems with Coherance not running after getting it to boot and a lot of the drivers not installing. For some reason the automatic setup with the Parallels overlay on the first boot showed up but didn't actually do anything. All I had to do was run the Install Parallels Tools several times to completely uninstall everything, reboot and re-install. Now everything is working perfectly.

11. bhagiratha

bhagiratha Member

Ok ... I follow the link that andy_vdg gave, follow the instructions for copying the driver.cab and sp2.cab to the i386 dir.

rebooted back to tiger > started Parallels and now I get a different error message. It now says:

"Unable to open disk image boot camp!"

any other suggestions?

12. UnbornApple

UnbornApple Bit poster

I actually didn't have an sp2.cab on my CD. Closest I found was 50SP2.cab, but that was only 2MB. Tired to copy it and rename it to sp2.cab, and I got the error bhagiratha got. I had to use a friend's XP disc to get the right sp2.cab file.

13. ClunkClunk

ClunkClunk Junior Member

I had the error that stated:
    In the Parallels User Guide it has some info about this error:
    When I did this, I had driver.cab on my XP disc, but I did not have sp1.cab or sp2.cab. If I copied driver.cab and tried Parallels, I got the same error. I fixed it by locating another copy of an XP install disc, and digging in the disc to find the sp2.cab file, dropping it in to the i386 folder, and trying Parallels. After I did that, Parallels Desktop functioned exactly how it should with my Boot Camp partition. I'm not too sure why my disc doesn't have that file. It's an XP Pro Corporate Edition, SP2.

Either way, my successful steps were these:
    1. Boot directly to XP via Boot Camp
    2. Copy sp2.cab from XP disc (or download it perhaps) to C:/windows/driver cache/i386
    3. Reboot back to Mac OS X
    4. Set up Parallels Desktop to use Boot Camp