Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3106 Beta 3 is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 29, 2006.

1. asgerhallas

asgerhallas Bit poster

Yes... I have the exact same problem here... both the updater and the parallels tools installer screen on each restart of the VM.

/Asger

2. tshawkins

tshawkins Bit poster

Agreed, fantastic product....

To add to the beta bug list i would like to add these minor annoyances.

1. Paralles should turn off the screensaver/display power save in XP and rely on the host to provide that, XP switching that on whilst in coherance mode is somewhat disconcerting!/ confusing.

2. I have an MBP with an external display, the mBP main display is 1440x900, the external display is 1280x1024. When parallesl places the XP toolbar across both displays, its not accessable on the main notebook display, hence the XP start menue is truncated off the bottom of the screen. It would be cool if the XP start menu could be rooted at the point in the OSX toolbar when you rightclick on the menu, if that was there then there would be no need to have the XP toolbar there at all, since the dock icons give access to the application windows.

3. MikeSchneider

MikeSchneider Bit poster

That's not correct. I have it running with Win2K without any problems. But I don't think, you are supposed to use Transporter this way. If you use Transporter with two different versions of Windows, you would have to be very careful with what you select for transport, otherwise you'll screw up your target OS (as you can see from the screen problem). Also, did you update Transporter as mentioned in the manual?

Michael

4. MikeSchneider

MikeSchneider Bit poster

Works fine for me. Same machine.

Michael

5. Evinyatar

Evinyatar Bit poster

I get both as well. What's even funnier is that after installing the Windows update from BootCamp, Windows is still whining about it. So I'm not sure the Windows update thing is Parallel's problem.
    It's always the same update as well.

6. MFK

MFK Bit poster

Kvaser USB CAN I/F

Hi,

Before I start whining -- Thanks to the folks at Parallels for their hard work and a really cool product!

Getting a Kvaser USB-to-CAN interface working is the one thing that is keeping me from really, "pulling the trigger" on the Desktop for Mac. As each new build comes out, I grab it and try it with the Kvaser USB-CAN Leaf interfaces. It has been steadily getting closer to what I need, but with Build 3106, it took a big jump backwards.

Right now, I get an instant BSOD as soon as I go, "On Bus" with the CAN Leafs.

Does anyone have any clever things I can try?

Thanks to all!

Mike

7. alexjasper

alexjasper Junior Member

Issue with Coherence, 3 monitors, 2 video cards - HELP!!!

I purchased a copy of Parallels about a month ago (Retail Box) and have been using ever since. Let me take a sentence to praise your efforts and the product your brilliant developers have created. This is the first time in 10 years I have enjoyed working 100% on a Mac.

I have been unable to get Coherence to span over my 3 monitors and believe my setup is slightly different then most of the multi display testers out there so I figured a post might get some answers.

Sofware: Parallels Beta 3106 and 3094

Hardware: Latest Mac Pro Quad 3Ghz
    2 ATI Radeon X1900 XT Video Cards
    3 GB RAM
    2 500 GB SATA stripped in RAID 0
    1 Apple 30" Cinema Dispay - 2560x1600
    2 Dell 24" Wide Aspect Ratio Displays - 1920x1200

As I mentioned before I have seen this issue in both 3094 and the newly released 3106. The 3036 release would barley even boot for me so I did not testing with it.

I am booting a "clean" (non-transported) .hdd of Windows XP Pro. Most everything works well, even coherence in single display mode. When I select the multi-monitor support for coherence and reboot coherence breaks all together. When I switch from windowed or full screen to coherence the dock icon displays but nothing shows on the desktop. I can launch any application and nothing will show on any of the 3 displays, though the dock icon shows activity. Sometimes the machine will crash (hard) and it seems like disabling the multi support for coherence solves the problem.

Are their any other people out there that have been able to get coherence to run on more than 2 displays, using multiple video cards?

Any help would be apprecited, It would be great to throw a couple of the PC monitoring apps I have on the third display with ARD.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

-ajasper

8. mavrinan

mavrinan Junior Member

I found the version that slowed my computer down the most was Beta 1 (3036), this one (beta 3) is not that bad. I have a MacBook 2.0 MHz, 512 MB RAM.

9. beforum

beforum Bit poster

I have also had an issue with build 3106 using dual monitors. Since my MBP is a 15" the second monitor also adhears to the same dimentions. Which crops the top of my window. I have set the prefs inside the VM but I don't know if they apply for Coherence. they do seem to work for full screen mode.

My setup:
    MacBook Pro 15"
    External monitor: IBM Think Vision 19" 1600 x 1200

10. Spike

Spike Junior Member

Here is a thread I started about my Kvaser Leaf problems. Not quite as severe as yours, but close. Right now I'm using build 3036 for simple CAN bus monitoring and such, and rebooting to my Boot Camp partition for critical operations like downloading firmware. I'd love to kiss Boot Camp goodbye, but can't until this is resolved.

11. tvu815

tvu815 Bit poster

pvr600 works in beta 2 not beta3

I am switching from my pc to a mac, and in beta 2 w/xp pro, I am able to use my USB PVR600 Diamond tv tuner ok. In Beta 3, the USB device shows up as a malfunctioned device. I hope the next version of parallels allow windows media center to run. It will install, but the media center does not run due to incompatible graphics card. That's my only hope

12. tj4shee

tj4shee Member

Kernel panic

I had my first kernel panic today with this Beta...... here is the info from the report.....

Let me know if I can give you any other data. MBP 2.16GHz, 2 Gig Mem

panic(cpu 1 caller 0x001A3135): Unresolved kernel trap (CPU 1, Type 13=general protection), registers:
    CR0: 0x8001003b, CR2: 0x372f2000, CR3: 0x01712000, CR4: 0x000006e0
    EAX: 0x05270251, EBX: 0x052c6f60, ECX: 0x054fcfe4, EDX: 0x0549b740
    CR2: 0x264cbe98, EBP: 0x264cbec8, ESI: 0x00000000, EDI: 0x3d805000
    EFL: 0x00010202, EIP: 0x04b3bd01, CS: 0x00000008, DS: 0x00000010

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
    0x264cbd08 : 0x128d1f (0x3c9540 0x264cbd2c 0x131df4 0x0)
    0x264cbd48 : 0x1a3135 (0x3cf1f4 0x1 0xd 0x3cea10)
    0x264cbe58 : 0x19a8d4 (0x264cbe64 0xe 0x5480048 0x54f0010)
    0x264cbec8 : 0x563c16c6 (0x52c6f60 0x0 0x264cbef8 0x13596e)
    0x264cbef8 : 0x563c47ca (0x69d4540 0x297 0x264cbf28 0x563c0e2d)
    0x264cbf28 : 0x563c27a9 (0x6ed5184 0x563c5548 0x563c5564 0x2c)
    0x264cbf58 : 0x563c0577 (0x6ed5184 0x563c4c30 0x563c4c10 0x16a)
    0x264cbf88 : 0x563c06b2 (0xf000000 0x0 0x0 0x5d763e8)
    0x264cbfc8 : 0x19a74c (0x0 0x0 0x19d0b5 0x54f81e8) Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x0
    Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
    com.parallels.kext.vmmain(2.2)@0x563bf000

Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Mon Sep 25 19:42:00 PDT 2006; root:xnu-792.13.8.obj~1/RELEASE_I386

Model: MacBookPro1,1, BootROM MBP11.0055.B08, 2 processors, Intel Core Duo, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB
    Graphics: ATI Radeon X1600, ATY,RadeonX1600, PCIe, 256 MB
    Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 1 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz
    Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM1, 1 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz
    AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x168C, 0x86), 0.1.27
    Bluetooth: Version 1.7.9f12, 2 service, 1 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
    Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
    Network Service: Parallels Host-Guest, Ethernet, en2
    Network Service: Parallels NAT, Ethernet, en3
    Serial ATA Device: ST910021AS, 93.16 GB
    Parallel ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857
    USB Device: Built-in iSight, Micron, Up to 480 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: Hub, Up to 480 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed), EPSON, Up to 480 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: USB/PS2 Wheel Mouse, Kensington, Up to 1.5 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: TVBOX, Trident, Up to 480 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: Kensington USB Keyboard, Innovace, Up to 1.5 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: Flash Card Reader, Generic, Up to 480 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, Apple Computer, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: IR Receiver, Apple Computer, Inc., Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
    USB Device: Bluetooth HCI, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA

13. FamousPete

FamousPete Junior Member

Windows XP Reactivation Required in Boot Camp, but not Parallels VM

As a few other people have mentioned, when booting into XP via Boot Camp, I'm being asked to activate Windows XP. However, when I boot into XP using the Parallels VM, I do not get any such requests to activate Windows XP. (I activated once when booted in the Parallels VM, and it has not asked me to reactivate when in the VM.)

Thanks to the Parallels team for all the new features in this release, and for the many improvements/fixes between Beta 1 and Beta 3. (This Boot Camp XP activation problem is the lone issue holding me back from using Parallels in my production environment.) Keep up the great work!

14. chrisdressler

chrisdressler Junior Member

Keyboard & Mouse Locked Up - Can't Get Past WPA Dialog

I've installed Parallels Build 3106 (Beta 3) and am using my Boot Camp partition which contains Windows XP SP2. I'm running on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 with 2GB of RAM. When I start Parallels, it goes through the normal sequence of the Windows startup while showing the overlay stating Parallels Tools are being installed and not to do anything until it is done.

When Windows has started up and the Parallels message disappears, I get the Windows Activation dialog box stating that my hardware had changed and I need to reactivate. However when I click in the VM so that I can respond to the dialog box, the mouse and keyboard don't work. I can press Ctrl+Alt to release the mouse and keyboard and I can use the Finder in Mac OS just fine, but for some reason the mouse and keyboard don't work in the VM. As such, I can't get past this dialog and I'm assuming let Parallels Tools do the hardware detects, etc. to complete the Tools install.

I've tried the suggestion to install VNC in the Boot Camp partition of Windows XP and then try to VNC into the VM while it is in this state from my Mac but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

This is really frustrating and I can't seem to find any solution. I've attached a screenshot so you can see the screen I'm stuck on in the VM.

[​IMG]

15. macsurferuk

macsurferuk Bit poster

I have the same issues although Windows updates on shutdown (66 items)
    Also requires my password every time Parallels is started.

As of tonight I can't even start Parallels. Can't find the Bootcamp partition. Oh well I'll try a restart
    first!

When finally released this will be a fabulous app!

16. Ozy

Ozy Member

Higher CPU usage. My CPU usage is sitting around 20% usage of a single core on my 3Ghz Mac Pro when XP shows 100% idle.

Any ideas?

17. macsurferuk

macsurferuk Bit poster

My CPU usage cycles between approx 30 and 70%! (XP idle I think, don't know enough about Windows yet to know what it might be doing in the background!!)

imac C2D 2.16 Ghz 2Gb RAM

Also my message "Bootcamp cannot be found" was cured with a restart of the Mac

18. mr zippy

mr zippy Bit poster

SEUS no longer works...

Sony Ericsson Software Update Service no longer works with beta 3.

Initial connection works when you connect the phone holding C down, it tells you to release C as it should, then it 'fails to detect phone' there is no USB activity when the C is released, normally the USB activity light flashes a lot during the detection stage.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  19. BillInSoBe

BillInSoBe Member

Slower...

Beta code is generally slower due to the fact that it may contain additional debug code that would normally not be in the GA release.

Personally I think the latest Beta release is much faster then previous GA releases. I'm running a MacBook Pro (Core Duo). 2GHz, 2GB RAM.

20. themacuser

themacuser Bit poster

Activation Problem!!!!

I really would like to purchase Parallel, but the program is simply too buggy right now. I have activated Windows XP and Office a gazillion times. I can't take it anymore!!! I know it's only beta, but don't tell people the activation bug is fixed when it isn't!! Parallel so far has crashed my bootcamp partition twice. I had to reinstall everything. :mad:

THREE advice to Parallel:

1) THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE IS THE ABILITY TO BOOT FROM BOOTCAMP. NO ONE WANTS TO KEEP TWO COPIES OF WINDOWS XP ON THEIR COMPUTER. FIX THE BUGS AND I WILL BUY THE PROGRAM RIGHT NOW!

2) Extend the trial period so that I don't have to keep on requesting new trial activation key for Parallel.

3) Throughly test the beta before releasing it. You are damaging your company's reputation by releasing these alpha software!