Win XP Pro Guest OS "freezes" in Parallels Desktop 4.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Chad Cota, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Chad Cota

Chad Cota Bit poster

Symptoms: Parallels/Win XP Pro "freezes" either while I'm actively using Windows apps or upon returning from being away from MAC for a period of time. I can click on Stop, Shut Down, Suspend, etc. but doing so has no effect. If I quit Parallels Desktop and re-launch the Win XP VM is till frozen. All that seems to work is a restart of the MAC.

MAC Book Pro: OS X Ver 10.5.6, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Installed:
    Parallels Desktop (Build 4.0.3810) for MAC
    Guest OS: Win XP Pro SP2
    Parallels Internet Security

Windows Updates - Notify me but don't automatically download or install them

VM:
    Optimization: Adaptive Hypervisor - Enabled; Optimize performance for - Virtual machine
    Services: Share Clipboard - enabled; Enable drag-and-drop - enabled
    Main memory - 976 MB

Parallels Preferences:
    Memory - 1024 MB

2. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Please refer this : http://kb.parallels.com/en/5033

If you are not able to understand, please follow these steps which describes the same.

1. please, open the Parallels folder: by default it is placed in one of the following directories

/Users/<you user name>/Documents/
    /Users/<you user name>/Library/

2. Find the correspondent virtual machine's folder (Microsoft Windows XP.pvm in our example), right click on it and choose show package contents.

3. Delete the files with .mem and .sav extensions

3. Chad Cota

Chad Cota Bit poster

That approach is of no help to me. Parallels is useless unless I can rely on it to function properly. I don't have time to "kill" the VM and restart several times a day.

4. Christopher Becker

Christopher Becker Bit poster

same

I'm having the same problem. Ever since upgrading to 3810. cpu goes to 180% (dual core) and if i don't kill it quickly it freezes all OSX input and I lose unsaved data.

Not cool at all. I'm trying to get work done. This software is worse than useless now, its making me less productive than i was.

5. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

6. nealitc

nealitc Member

More than likely prl_cc.exe (one of the Parallels "helper" programs) is taking all the Windows CPU, I have had success suspending and resuming, sometimes been able to send Ctrl+Alt+Del then kill it from Task Manager.

Today it bit me, couldn't get to Task Manager, am going to spend a few hours trying to recover data (I had to stop the VM).

Somehow Parallels continues to deny the prl_cc.exe issue, and tries to blame other programs for this problem, or sends instructions to change other parts of the system configuration. Argh.

7. paul hon

paul hon Bit poster

I try the fix with the deletions (mem and sav) but I am still get my screen to freeze every time I try to right click.
    I only found mem file in the library. what else can I do?

8. bjk633

bjk633 Bit poster

Same Issue

Having the same issue with Build 4.0.3810

9. nealitc

nealitc Member

My VM (PD 4 3846, XP Pro SP 3, all current updates) freezes/hangs at least one per week - the VM just stops. This is a new "feature" with PD 4, did not occur with PD 3. Pause/Resume or Suspend/Resume doesn't help, it won't restart, and Ctl+Alt+Delete from the keyboard menu does nothing, have to Stop the VM, then Start.

I also tried taking a snapshot in the frozen state, then rebooting, then reverting to the snapshot - which got me the frozen state, still frozen.

This sometimes corrupts files in the VM, which in one case caused me to lose almost a full day of work. Overall, this is extremely painful and unpredictable, I'm now shutting down and rebooting daily.

The suggestions from "Bopanna I G" have nothing to do with this issue. Can someone from Parallels respond to actually understand and address the issue?

Thanks

10. gdittmeier

gdittmeier Bit poster

I'm having the same issues under Vista (Business). I'll be typing and all of a suddend my fingers are moving but nothing is showing up on the screen. I quickly bring up task-manager and see that prl_cc.exe is pegging my CPU. Is someone from Parallels going to chime in here with anything useful?

11. paul hon

paul hon Bit poster

Each time copy and paste an item, the item or folder will freeze

the above fix does not solve the issue, The only way I can stop the freeze is by doind ctrl alt del and stop the copy.
    is there another fix?I am on parallel 4.0.3848 .