Agonizingly slow startups.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Upton O'Good, Jul 31, 2008.

?

Are you experiencing this same problem?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2008.
  1. Yes!!! It's killing my productivity!

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. I don't know what you're talking about.

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. kavehazari

kavehazari Bit poster

Same Bug, Same Solution

I'm dumping Parallels and moving to VMWare, too. I've been having this bug for too long, have lost too many hours to this.

BYE, PARALLELS.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We apologize for inconvenience, I hope you will test upcoming Parallels Desktop 4 and find difference

3. slegge

slegge Member

2 graphics card , 2 monitors?

Nope. Just a 20" iMac. Nothing special. Just a regular old Mac running only the software that comes with it + Parallels.

4. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Junior Member

So, is anything going on?

Here's a "me, too". New MacBook (2Gb). Para 2.5 (3224?).
    Hangs forever, i.e. when going into the Parallels menu (even if the guest OS is not running, so it's hard to blame this problem on Guest OS setup).
    It's just not working. Can we expect a solution or should we just all get our money back and go to VMWare?

5. technonut2000

technonut2000 Junior Member

I too have an amazingly slow computer. I've tried to boot parallels about 4 times. Sometimes it makes it, sometimes it does not. Once, after making it, I started Outlook and it worked for about 5 minutes and died. Parallels 4.0 is so slow I am about to take all my data and just run on the mac side. It's not worth the update. This after 4 days of trying to get it installed!!!

6. wbrimhall

wbrimhall Bit poster

I've had the exact same issue for over a year on multiple revs of Parallels -- both on a 2007 MacBook and an (early) 2008 MacBook Pro. Here's the best info I can provide:

-- Happens on both Tiger and Leopard

-- Parallels will hang the system while Parallels is starting up and BEFORE you can select a VM to launch

-- I generally see this behavior when I suspend a VM, shut down Parallels, and then try to relaunch Parallels -- although it's not always the 2nd time I launch Parallels after a Mac OS X reboot. It will often only happen the 3rd or 4th time I launch Parallels. Usually, there is a Mac OS X suspend or two (or ten) in between.

-- Rebooting Mac OS X will allow me to launch Parallels, as Parallels generally works the first time I launch it after rebooting.

-- I usually use my MacBooks in the closed position, hooked up to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse -- but often 'undock' them and then use the internal keyboard and monitor. I'll often transition between both states without rebooting Mac OS X.

Based on the length of this thread, it seems time to try VMWare -- as it doesn't seem like Parallels knows how to reproduce it or fix it... Too bad. Other than this problem, it's been a good product.

7. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Have you checked this KB article?

8. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Junior Member

Tried disabling shared folders (configuration file looks slightly different for Parallels 2.5), still no go - same WindowServer process problem, whole system grinds to a halt.

9. amadex

amadex Bit poster

Since I've upgraded to parallels 4.0 I've this same problem. The startup of parallels and of the VM are unbearably slow, "locking" any network traffic and slowing down all the OS... I don't know what else to do, and I'm getting full of this...

10. John@Parallels

I suggest to create ticket and/or report problem from Help menu in Parallels Desktop version 4

11. amadex

amadex Bit poster

Any news about this?!... I've tried unistalling, installing again, repairing disk permissions, etc... nothing! Every time I start Parallels Desktop application (even without starting any VM) it starts very, very slowly and in the middle stops network traffic, until it really finishes loading.

12. John@Parallels

See my previous post

13. amadex

amadex Bit poster

I've created a report some time ago. Until the moment no feedback! I've reported again today.

14. John@Parallels

ticket ID please

15. amadex

amadex Bit poster

I don't have any ticket ID, because I've used the "Report Problem" from Parallels help menu and received no e-mail or nothing regarding the reported problems!... But you can check upon my e-mail, which tickets are opened by me.

16. John@Parallels

17. amadex

amadex Bit poster

Parallels ID#660054

18. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

I have 3 iMacs and 2 MacBooks and ever since upgrading to version 4 my startup times are absolutely hopeless. It is the same problem on all machines. It can take 3 mins or more before Windows XP is usable. Windows definitely runs slower on V4 than V3.

It worked fine in version 3.

What's the problem?

19. Nuvector

Nuvector Bit poster

Apparently, in Parallels 4, if you have network drives mounted when you startup the Parallels Desktop app it attempts to catalog the network mounts if you have SmartMount enabled in the config for a VM. I'm going to disable this on all my VM configs and see if it makes a difference.