Parallels Uninstaller not working - says Parallels not Installed

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Christopher Janney, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Christopher Janney

Christopher Janney Junior Member

I'm trying to reinstall Parallels 3.0 on my Mac OS 10.5.6. There was a problem with the Mac OS upgrade and now Parallels won't open and requests a reinstall.

Parallels Uninstaller doesn't work either... pop up window states:

"You do not have Parallels Desktop installed on your computer"

but yet I do, it's right there in my applications folder.

Must I uninstall Manually?
    Is there an easy way of doing this?

Many thanks for any help on this!

CJ

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

Dear Sir,

Please do the following:

1) Please reinstall Parallels Desktop by the following KB article:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790

2) Here is the direct download link to our latest build, use it to reinstall the application:

http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/GA/Parallels-Desktop-5626-Mac-en.dmg

After that please reinstall Parallels Tools:

1. Launch Windows Guest OS.
    2. Open Add/Remove programs control panel in Windows and remove Parallels Tools if present.
    3. Reboot Windows XP guest OS.
    4. Install Parallels Tools using "Install Parallels Tools" menu item in the Action menu of the Parallels Desktop application.
    5. Reboot Windows one more time.

3. Christopher Janney

Thank you very much, but I'm not sure you are understanding.

Parallels Uninstaller is not working. As I posted earlier.

When I run the uninstaller the pop up window reads:

but I do have Parallels installed on my Mac.

I have launched the Parallels Desktop Uninstaller from the Installation CD,
    from the .dmg package downloaded from Parallels web site,
    and I have a copy Parallels Desktop Uninstall on my computer as well.
    All 3 of the unistallers have the same outcome, none of them work.

Thank you for the above links, I hope to be able to use them soon.

Do I have to Manually Uninstall Parallels? Is that possible? Is there another way to get the Uninstaller to work?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Christopher

4. Christopher Janney

Any thoughts on this???

5. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello Christopher Janney
    I have several questions:

1) do you have under Applications -> Parallels folder? what do you have in this folder (content)
    2) In case you will select install (not uninstall) what will be the result?
    3) have you tried the article (remove records in registry? repair disk persissons?)

In case that wont help please create the ticket and provide me with the number: https://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/request/

6. Christopher Janney

galochka,

I have already tried contacting Parallels Customer Service
    with this link you posted above ( https://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/request/ )
    3 different times in the past 11 days,
    and Customer Service has NOT replied yet,
    so I do not have a ticket to provide a number.

-Yes, these are the Applications in that folder: Applications -> Parallels folder -> Parallels Desktop, Parallels Explorer, Parallels Image Tool, Parallels Transporter, Uninstall Parallels Desktop (and all the user guides for these applications as well)

I have not tried to Install Parallels, because I read from many other threads in this Forum that I must Uninstall Parallels first.
    Should I try to Install Parallels without Uninstalling Parallels first?

I have repaired Disk Permissions three times and it does not change anything.
    When I run the Uninstaller the pop up window always reads:

Is there any other way to Uninstall Parallels Desktop without using the Uninstaller???

This was my original problem that led me to have to Unistall Parallels to Reinstall it:

I was cleaning up my Mac Hard Drive with Disk Utility before upgrading to Parallels 4.0.

I had to reinstall my Mac OS because of a disk error. I backed up my person home page files, and did an erase disk and reinstalled my Mac OS, and then decided while I'm at it to simply upgrade from Tiger to Leopard 10.5.6.

This was all done via Applecare tech support. It is my understanding that the original System Files couldn't be saved and were erased. I was told I'd have to reinstall some 3rd party applications. I guess I do. This is the message I get when trying to start Parallels 3.x:

"Parallels Desktop is unable to operate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Try to restart the application to overcome this issue. If restart doesn't help, re-install Parallels Desktop. Note that Parallels drivers require a short time to be properly started and initialized. So you may need to wait a minute before trying to launch the application."

7. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello Christopher Janney,

Can you please check you private message?

8. Fio999

Fio999 Junior Member

I need solution to uninstall problem

Hi,
    I have the exact same problem as the one described above. I am trying to find someone from the Parallels team that can send me the workaround to this problem. Please help.
    Fio999

9. Christopher Janney

I recommend calling them. The tech had to spend about 2 hours on the phone and then realized you can just reinstall over the older version and nothing will be harmed. Do that or call them

You'll have to update to the latest build of 3.0 before moving on and installing the 4.0 upgrade

1-866-248-8906 and press 1... no charge

10. Larry Garrett

Larry Garrett Bit poster

If you delete the Parallels Desktop application from the Parallels folder (Applications => Parallels), you should be able to reinstall. If this does not work, the next step for manual uninstallation will be to remove the entire Parallels folder.

I hope this helps.

11. Fio999

Fio999 Junior Member

Christopher,
    I was so hoping you would see my message and tell me what worked for you. I'll follow your recommendation. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!
    Fio999