Moving a Disk Image between iMac & Powerbook

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by copelands, Jan 2, 2007.

1. copelands

copelands Bit poster

I have an XP image installed on my iMac and now have a new powerbook, how do I move the XP install to my Powerbook paralles session so I don't have to reinstall XP? I am not after dual boot just a standard XP Paralles session. I only use 1 application which is a pain to keep changing the licence keys on. My idea is to use the image on my desktop when at home and drag it to the laptop when on the road and so only have to update the once image.

Is this possible?

machines are both

2.33ghz Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM.

2. Clalron

Clalron Member

I wrote a utility called VM2Go that allows you to easily transport a virtual machine. I will post a new version shortly that is the release version and post a link.

Send me an email at vm2go@mac.com and I'll let you know when it is ready. The current version expired.

3. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

clalron wrote: I wrote a utility called VM2Go that allows you to easily transport a virtual machine.
    ===

I thought moving a VM was as easy as moving the two files associated with it to a new destination. Is it not so, surely?

4. Clalron

Clalron Member

It can be-- what VM2Go does though is figure out what files need to be moved based on the VM definition. This is helpful for example if you use the wizard to create a VM. You may not necessarily know the files it created or where they are.

If you know where things are--then you can certainly use the finder. If you don't or you have multiple VMs then VM2Go is helpful.

5. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

It's pretty cool that you took the time to make such a utility.

6. detayls

detayls Junior Member

PowerBook???

Surely you mean MacBook. PowerBooks do not have an x86 CPU.
    :confused:

7. copelands

copelands Bit poster

Yes sotty I mean a macbook pro. I did state Intel at the start though. New mac user so still learning terminology!!!