clone file 1,26 GB??

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Ephra, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Ephra

Ephra Member

Ok, here's the thing: installed 4.0 fresh on an even fresh and new macbook pro. (have the 3.0 safely and stable running on my iMac) For some time everything's fine. Then:
    1. wanted to clone the VM for a backup. It was done in 2 minutes -strange. When I looked at the clone of win XP its size is 1,26 GB?! Tried several times. What's this?
    2. VM suddenly freezes since several days: a popup follows with: unable to access hard disk1. input/output error. Can't use the VM at all anymore. What's this? and yes: write/reading premissions are fine.

2. desgael

desgael Pro

Seems like a problem with Mac'a hard disk. Try the following:
    1. Run Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk utility
    2. First, verify the disk (Macintosh HD) and when it's done - repair disk permissions.

3. Ephra

Ephra Member

Ok, thanks for reply.
    will try that.

4. Ephra

Ephra Member

I did what tou suggested: no diference. Even called Applecare, they forwarded me to this forum. So back to where I started. Now what?

5. Ephra

Ephra Member

...and I can't clone the VM -it's just 1,26 GB. Can I just copy it by right-mouse-click as a backup for now?

6. desgael

desgael Pro

Do you still experience input/output error after repairing the disk permissions?

As for the cloning - the easiest way to back up the whole virtual machine is just to copy the <VM_name>.pvm file to some other place. You would be able to launch it even by double-clicking on it.

For 3.0 version the file needed to copy is winxp.hdd, to use it, if needed, you need to create a new virtual machine using the custom mode and "use existing hard disk image" option, pointing the installer to the .hdd file needed.

7. Ephra

Ephra Member

yes, for one minute or so it seems ok and then the VM freezes completely and the popup appears input/output error unable to access hard disk1 and can only close with a hard shut down.
    ok, I will just copy the .pvm to some place else.

8. Ephra

Ephra Member

...won't backup eather. Hangs at 1.75 GB -> 'finder cannot complete task, because some files of 'windows XP.pvm' cannot be read. Error 36' (in dutch)
    I'm really stuck here!

9. Ephra

Ephra Member

...someone please?

10. desgael

desgael Pro

If the file itself can not be copied on Mac it still must be a Mac-related issue, so I would really suggest you to contact Apple's support.
    However, Error 36 could mean virtually anything, and if you are unable to get the support from them you can create a ticket in our support line so we would investigate the issue more closely.