Shift or Ctrl multiple point to select

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by iduff, Nov 24, 2008.

1. iduff

iduff Product Expert

Just noticed this in 3540, don't remember but can't swear that it was this way in 3522, too. Pretty sure it was not, and was not in earlier beta releases of 4.0. Note, this first observation is in XP SP3 with Explorer configured for single click to open an item, point to select. Will test in a Vista Ultimate SP1 VM and report back as well.

Expected result:
    Holding the Shift key down while pointing to select in Explorer results in selecting multiple contiguous files. Holding the Ctrl key down while pointing to select in Explorer results in selecting multiple, non-contiguous files.

Observed result:
    Holding the Shift key down only results in selecting the single file under the cursor. Move the cursor, the file previously under the cursor loses focus, the file under the new cursor position is now the only file selected. Similar result with the Ctrl key.

Click on one file while holding down the Shift key, then move the cursor to another file, click again, multiple contiguous files are selected.

"Point to select" appears to have been broken in Explorer.

2. iduff

iduff Product Expert

Vista Ultimate SP1, too

Same symptoms in Vista Ultimate SP1, too.

Note: These symptoms are observed with "Enable Mac OS X system shortcuts" disabled in Parallels Preferences.

3. STim

STim Bit poster

Just tried on my installation - it just works.

I have one idea though - will you please check the setting for Parallels Desktop->Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse->Mouse tab->To right-click

Mine is set to Ctrl+Shift+Mouse Click. Is yours the same? Also, have you edited your keyboard profile somehow?

4. iduff

iduff Product Expert

Mine is set the same as yours.

I have not edited my keyboard profile in any way, as I see no need to do so.

5. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello,

That's a workaround, not a solution, but haven't you tried a "Sticky Keys" option?
    Just enable it and you will have what you like:

Holding the Shift key down while pointing to select in Explorer results in selecting multiple contiguous files. Holding the Ctrl key down while pointing to select in Explorer results in selecting multiple, non-contiguous files.

To switch it on go to Start -> Control Panel -> Accessibility options -> Keyboard or just quickly hit "Shift" 5 times :)
    Several settings could be adjusted as well.
    Apply changes and try to highlight as you got used to: highlight an item -> hit Shift -> highlight others.
    To switch sticky-key off double-click it with keyboard.
    The same could be done with Control, Alt and Command buttons.
    It is very convenient to monitor which keys are on/off from an icon in tray

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  6. darwin@perkinsfam.us

darwin@perkinsfam.us Bit poster

I'm using V4 3810, I'm still having the same issue: Shift click and Ctrl click do not select multiple files. The only thing selected is the last file pointed to.
    I have found that the mouse acts more like the mac mouse, where a click and hold with a mouse move will select all the files under the mouse area.

I verified that all my preferences are as talked about above.
    Is there another tweak somewhere that will make the mouse work like a "normal" XP/Vista mouse?