How do I burn a CD?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Robert Meador, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Robert Meador

Robert Meador Junior Member

I'm running Parallels 3 on a MacBook Pro, XP Pro is the guest OS.

Need to burn an image I downloaded of Windows Service Pack 3 (seems to be required for IIS installation).

Can't seem to find anything obvious - OS X this ain't...

Right-clicking on the downloaded image shows me nothing. I put in a blank CD and OS X asks me to choose what to do with it (in other words, it doesn't seem to be "captured" or whatever is the terminology, by the guest OS).

How do I do it?

- Bob

2. desgael

desgael Pro

It is still a bit unclear for what purpose do you wish to burn the CD.
    If you need to slipstream the Service pack to the Windows CD, then you can use the following article:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5446
    To mount an .iso image created on Mac (created via disk utility, do not forget to rename from .dmg to .iso if this is Parallels 3.0) use the following article:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/4653
    And if you just need to burn anything to the CD from the Windows side just make sure that in Configuration Editor CD/DVD-ROM is set to "real device" and proceed on the Windows side as usual.

3. Robert Meador

When I attempt to install IIS, I get an alert that says I need to insert the Service Pack 3 CD. My system is updated to SP 3 so I guess it must need some files off that disk?

I don't know about slipstreaming and I don't think I need to do anything on the Mac side. I downloaded this disk image from Microsoft and now need to turn it into an actual CD - I guess.

I have set my CD to use the CD/DVD, not the disk image, in Parallels configuration editor.

I go to start->my computer, navigate up one level to get the image file on the desktop, click on it, choose "copy this file" from the file and folder tasks. It tells me to insert a CD, which I do, then nothing happens. The "insert a CD" dialog never goes away.

I checked the little disk icon down at the bottom of the window frame. At first it had a red X in it but then I selected my CD drive and that went away.

Then I cancelled and decided to try again with the disk already in the drive. Now when I choose the CD as destination I get "D not accessible. Incorrect function". Well, yes, it is functioning incorrectly!

This is really confusing...

4. desgael

desgael Pro

If you have downloaded the CD image, i.e. the .iso image, then to mount it you need to do the following:

1. Copy the image to the Mac side.
    2. Stop the VM, and launch Parallels from Finder -> Applications -> Parallels -> Parallels Desktop, to get to the Configuration Editor. (in 4.0 version just click on the "Configure" button)
    3. Under CD/DVD-ROM set it to "image file" and browse to the .iso image on the Mac side.
    That would connect the CD image.

Otherwise, if using only from a Windows side, you just need to use some third-party software that mounts disk images, like Daemon tools.

5. Robert Meador

It looks like I did indeed need something else - found a program called CD Burner XP that seems to be working...