Uninstall/Reinstall

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jaredigital, Jan 3, 2007.

1. jaredigital

jaredigital Bit poster

All,

I was having enough trouble with the beta releases that I decided to uninstall the entire application and reinstall the stable 1970 version (it was basically a relatively fresh install anyways, so I wasn’t losing anything). I used the Uninstall app provided with the DMG and restarted my computer, but Parallels refuses to reinstall.

When I get to the "Select a destination volume" screen on the installer, there's an alert icon next to my hard drive. When I click it, it says "The chosen volume contains software which is newer than the software you are installing." I can override this easily enough, but as I move forward to the "Install" stage, I get a message that says "You cannot continue. There is nothing to install."

My instinct tells me there is some file, somewhere, that is borking my reinstall. I've done a Spotlight search for anything obviously Parallels-related and removed those files. Of course, I my instincts could be way off.

Any tips or advice?

2. WJWM

WJWM Bit poster

Trouble reinstalling

I had exactly the same problem when trying to revert from the beta to an earlier version. In the end I had to reinstall the OS just to be able to get Parallels working again.

3. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Did you use the uninstaller from the package you used to install the app? If so, try the uninstaller from the older version.

4. jaredigital

jaredigital Bit poster

I first used the uninstaller from the latest Beta DMG I had installed. When that didn't work, I worked my way back through each version of Parallels I had installed (I saved the DMGs). None of that worked, even though each uninstaller claimed to have done its job.

Interestingly enough, I was able to download and (finally) install the Beta 3 (which had previously failed to install), and now everything seems to be back to normal (at least for now). I really can't explain it.

Now if I could just figure out why my XP install insists on killing itself when upgrading to SP2...

Sheesh.

5. max height

max height Bit poster

I had the same problem. I used Spotlight to search for every file containing the word "parallels" in the name, which I then trashed, rebooted, and now the 1970 installer seems to be working. I'll let you know what happens after I finish the installation.

6. max height

max height Bit poster

I am almost finished reinstalling Windows and it seems to be working...

7. max height

max height Bit poster

I was able to install Windows and it runs fine. The only problem that I am having is that Parallels crashes when I switch from Full Screen to Console view. I'll live with this by setting Windows screen resolution to a decent size that I can use not use Full Screen.

Hopefully, in some future Parallels update, whatever is messed up will get fixed.

8. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

which OS and computer model?
    how much RAM
    which VDU card?

there can be memory issues (one rpeorted bug already fixed in beta 3)

Hugh W