Can't print anymore

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tiger, Feb 8, 2009.

1. tiger

tiger Bit poster

I'm using Vista. I was printing okay with a Brother MFC-9440cn. I wanted to use a different printer and connected it to my Mac. I don't know want I've done, but I can no longer print from Vista to the brother or to the second printer. I can print to both from the Mac.. I just want to get back to printing to the Brother. Help.

Also the single sheet feeder on the Brother doesn't work, is this a VM problem or something I haven't set up right?

2. I-che

I-che Pro

hi tiger,
    please try to set up Apple Bonjour in VM and select one of your printers as Bonjour printer: http://kb.parallels.com/en/4990 . In this way VM will use native Mac OS X drivers for Guest VM.
    This should work. Single sheet issue seems to be not related to Parallels Desktop.

3. tiger

tiger Bit poster

Thank you. I followed your instructions and everything works fine.

4. bpzdiver

bpzdiver Member

OK, now I can't print either. Had problems printing from Windows, just would get line after line of text without formatting. So I'd print to a pdf and then copy it to the Mac side and print from there. Cumbersome but worked. Now can't even do that. Probably made the mistake of installing HP drivers from the CD directly into the Windows side, but now I've uninstalled all of the HP stuff. Yesterday there were 5 printers (including a PDF converter) in the Windows Printers and Faxes Control Panel but none worked properly (except for the test page?) Today, no printers or pdf option. I get an error repeatedly that there is some problem with the print spooler service and the error report is being sent to MS.

Ran the Bonjour Wizard as described in the knowledge base article and everything's fine until the end. First pop up dialog box:

"the arguments are invalid."

Then:

"you do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer."

Restarted Parallels and ran Bonjour again, and this time there was an extra step where it asked if I wanted the particular printer I have, an HP 3050. So checked yes and looks good. Started a program that wouldn't print before and that looks OK, but now chose a one page document to print, get a little dialogue box "Print Status Screen" with nothing in it. Nothing printing.

Look back in Printers and Faxes Control Panel and the 5 printers are back! But the one checked as default is not the HP 3050 but Quickbooks PDF Converter. So check 3050 and restart Windows again. Now the programs says it is printing the one page, as before, but nothing gets to the printer. Go to Printers and Faxes Controll Panel, the 3050 is checked as default. Choose "See what's printing" and it hangs, click to close the control panel and get "Not Responding."

So deleted all the HP printers (set something else to be default first) and restart again. Each time I ran Bonjour it created a new HP 3050 but named it (2) and then (3) so I thought maybe it's getting confused?

Now run Bonjour again, select the 3050 one time and make sure it's default, still no go. In fact, can't select anything in the Printer Tasks. FWIW, the computer doesn't seem happy. Fans have come on at full speed, which hasn't happened for quite a long time. Probably coincidental?

BTW, did double check and the printer works fine on the Mac side. And I'm back to printing to a pdf. Nice way to waste a day. Hope it can be resolved.

Last resort, I'm going to reboot the Mac. I'll post if anything changed.

Parallels 3.0 Build 5608. Windows XP. Mac OS 10.5.6