cant find windows disk from mac side

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Mark Haag, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Mark Haag

Mark Haag Bit poster

i have windows xp sp3 installed through boot camp. i had parallels 3.0 and have upgraded to 4.0 but am having a problem with the windows partition not showing up on my mac desktop or in the finder.

with 3.0, when the VM was running, on my mac desktop i would have a Windows (C:) shortcut to my windows partition. when the VM was shut down, that shortcut would disappear and the true volume mount would reappear.

however with 4.0, the hard drive has disappeared both from the VM and non-VM side. i took a look at the VM config, and I have the folders sharing enabled (Share all Windows disks with Mac OS X, Mount virtual disks to Mac OS X desktop, and Add virtual disks to Spotlight search). at the bottom it says the corresponding parallels tools must be installed. can i check if they are?

what gives?

thanks!

-mark

2. David McMahon

David McMahon Bit poster

Same problem here although I did not upgrade - I did a clean install of Parallels V4 build 3810. When I quit Parallels, the Windows hard drive icon for the boot camp partition does not reappear. I have to restart my Mac for the icon to reappear.

3. pairof9s

pairof9s Bit poster

Same here

It seemed to happen when I (or Parallels) updated to the latest 3.0 build (5636). It froze during install and then later during a boot up. I let Windows repair itself and the VM works well otherwise.

However, every time I shutdown the VM and quit Parallels, the Boot Camp disk does not return to the OS X desktop. Parallels will hit or miss on whether it will reopen the next time I launch. I have to use Disk Utility to remount the drive.

/

4. eddyk

eddyk Member

Same here (Leopard 10.5.6 Parallels 4.0 3810 MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram).
    In all other respects, Parallels works perfectly.

5. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

I had this problem when I accidentally removed the MacFUSE preference pane, which Parallels silently installs, and which it uses to mount the Windows file system on the Mac side. If this is your problem, you can get it here.

Best,
    David

6. eddyk

eddyk Member

problem solved

Although I do not remember having removed MacFuse, it was indeed not present. I reinstalled it and the problem is solved, disk C appears again on Mac Desktop.
    Thanks David.