How to switch to Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jhersco, Jan 3, 2007.

1. jhersco

jhersco Bit poster

I installed WinXP in Parallels. I am having trouble using a web publisher in Internet Explorer which works fine when running on an actual PC. I want to experiment by trying the same thing in WinXP running in Boot Camp. I have two questions:

1. Can I install and validate my WinXP in Boot Camp now that I have already installed it in Parallels?

2. Do I have to create a separate partition on my drive for Boot Camp, and if so, how do I do it without erasing my drive?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  2. aarroneous

aarroneous Bit poster

>> 1. Can I install and validate my WinXP in Boot Camp now that I have already installed it in Parallels?<<

Yes, but you'll need to call Microsoft on the phone.

>> 2. Do I have to create a separate partition on my drive for Boot Camp, and if so, how do I do it without erasing my drive? <<

Yes, BootCamp requires a separate partition. Apple's Boot Camp Assistant will allow you to create an additional partition on your hard drive without erasing it (similar to PartitionMagic).

3. jhersco

jhersco Bit poster

aaroneous:
    Thanks for the reply. MS Tech Support refused to help when I called in anticipation of the problem, citing policy regarding installation on more than one computer (even virtual ones!) I installed WinXP into Boot Camp anyway. When it would not validate, I called the toll-free number provided on screen and the MS rep provided a new ID code to allow validation.