Windows 7 questions...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by duklaprague, Jan 24, 2009.

1. duklaprague

duklaprague Bit poster

Hope someone can help with this.

I've just installed the Windows 7 beta onto my MBP. I'm a web designer, and this is only really to allow me to check sites in Internet Explorer on my Mac, rather than the otherwise redundant PC.

Firstly, I'm not sure how to install Parallels Tools - which I assume will fix the window size - at the moment it won't fill the screen... I've just downloaded Parallels and am trying it out to see how it goes - so I don't have a CD/DVD to autorun. When I click continue from the dialogue box to install it, nothing happens....

Secondly, when I try to navigate to anything from the windows start menu, I get an error message :

'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.

And also, the start menu and taskbar are the old style, horrible grey of windows 95 - I know its a beta, but is that right?

If anyone could clear up these issues, that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. duklaprague

duklaprague Bit poster

OK - think I've managed to resolve all of that.

I removed that one, and tried again. I missed the step last time of entering the Product Key (the multitouch trackpad can be a bit sensitive sometimes).

That seemed to fix the rights issues, and I installed the Parallels tools from Windows Explorer - so pretty much all set up - the machine sharing is working, even though I probably won't need it, and its connected to our home network, so that's all good.

Its running IE8 by default, but is it possible to run IE7 as well? I was hoping to run IE6 as well, but I think I read that Vista / 7 doesn't support IE6?

And lastly - should I be able to see the Aero transparent stuff? When I mouse over the items in the taskbar, I'm only getting text desxriptions above, not the mini live views...?

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Its running IE8 by default, but is it possible to run IE7 as well?
    No
    I was hoping to run IE6 as well, but I think I read that Vista / 7 doesn't support IE6?
    Yes it is correct
    And lastly - should I be able to see the Aero transparent stuff?
    No, it is not supporting
    When I mouse over the items in the taskbar, I'm only getting text desxriptions above, not the mini live views...?
    It is Aero feature

4. beta_oliverzzz

beta_oliverzzz Bit poster

Win 7 Aero

Will we see Aero support within Parallels Dekstop 4 for Mac some time?

Or isn't this possible?

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are working in that direction, but for now I am not able to provide ETA

6. cflem

cflem Junior Member

Still going in that direction?

I am guessing it is a hard feature to implement - but man - you guys have been promising Aero for two years... what gives? I know it s a hog - but I like to run my software at full feature.. not having to cripple it based on poor video drivers.

Are we going to have Aero support soon? I will buy a new version of Parallels if I had to.... just HATE having to Bootcamp...

Please update us soon - some of us have been here for a while patiently waiting on Aero support.