Block VM using internet settings, suggestions, and why graphics limited?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Steelbom, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

Hi, I posted this in another forum I think, general settings, but it didn't show up, so I'll try again.

I'm wondering if it's possible to lock the Network settings in my VM (Windows XP SP3), so that I can not allow any internet connection to the VM, I've got Parental controls setup on the Mac, so web browsing is safe (it's set to only allow the list of allowed sites that I set), with Parallels there is access to the web browsers on the VM, so I'd like the ability to lock the Parallels network settings (so I can leave them disabled) so they can't be unlocked without a password I set in Parallels)

I also have two suggestions: (excluding the one above if it's not already there (which I can't see it, so I assume not))
    One, when logging into Windows XP SP3 it does not log into the welcome screen, rather it goes straight into the Administrator account, which I do not want!

The other, would be allowing me to change the location the SmartGuard snapshots are stored, I'd like them to be stored on my secondary 1TB hard drive, rather than my main 300GB hard drive which is running out of space!

My question regarding the graphics, is, why when playing Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties, can I not set the Shader to Very High (like I could on a normal windows pc before), or set Anti-Alias to anything other than 'None'

Thanks

Kind Regards
    MythicFrost

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi in order to set up a 2 nd user account in windows XP:

From the Administrator account go to the Control Panel.
    Next select User Accounts
    Next select Create a new account
    Follow the promp screen (enter new user name) click next.
    Just remember to select "limited" for the new account,
    and don't forget to password protect the Admin account.

kat

3. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

Hi, thanks for your reply, but unfortunately a limited account is not an option, I was aware of it, but administrator access must be available, as software development will be the main use of that VM, I've managed to block internet by the settings in that VM, but I can not lock them.

The administrator account has a password, and I also have a limited account (only for testing software on as well, not for primary use/development), and a secondary administrator account, unfortunately parallels logs straight into admin account, doesn't even require the password.

If Parallels would go to the welcome screen, instead of going straight into the admin account, I could password the accounts, therefore having more control, and ideally, being able to block the internet from Parallels to that VM.

Thanks again,

Kind Regards
    MythicFrost

4. William Geck

William Geck Member

5. Steelbom

Steelbom Member

Yes, it worked, but my primary intention was to be able to password the accounts, so that they cannot be logged onto which I can do, but as soon as a user logs into the administrator account, or another admin account / power user, that setting can be changed back to auto login, so is there a way to secure that panel so it can only be used on the administrator account or something?

I still wonder if there is a way to do the other two things I mentioned in my first post as well (parental controls to lock network settings, or changing where SmartGuard stores the snapshots)

Kind Regards
    MythicFrost