Java cannot reserve enough memory for object heap

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Mark Hansen, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Mark Hansen

Mark Hansen Bit poster

When running Java on WinXP guest, I get the following error whenever I set the maximum heap size greater than 512MB:

----------

Error occurred during initialization of VM
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    Could not create the Java virtual machine.

----------

I have my JAVA_OPTS environment variable set at "-Xms512m -Xmx1024". Setting the -Xmx to anything more than 512 seems to cause this error.

My company builds Java server software. I use Parallels on the Mac for development and demos. We need to be able to set the memory higher. Please help!

2. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

This problem is due to the Kapersky anti-virus product that comes with Parallels. I was not having this problem on my Parallels 3 VM where I don't run an AV program. However I was able to reproduce the issue by importing Mark's Parallels 4.0 VM into VMWare fusion and found the same limitation for Java. I therefore concluded that the problem was not specifically related to the VM software but rather to the particular Windows image.

Turning off the AV program had no effect but after I uninstalled it and rebooted, I was then able to run java with a -Xmx1600 value. Mark then uninstalled it from his Parallels VM and the problem went away there too.

What's quite bizarre to me is how much of a difference it made. The available heap size for Java went from 512M to 1.6G after uninstalling the anti-virus program. Upon reflection and some external discussion, it seems that all that would be necessary for this to happen is if the AV program grabs a single chunk of address space in every process and if that address is low enough, then a user program trying to allocate a large chunk of memory going beyond that address would fail.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009