Palm / Treo will not HotSync to WinXP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by luomat, Dec 21, 2006.

1. luomat

luomat Hunter

Beta 3094

I can't get my Treo 650 to sync via USB to WIndows XP running off BootCamp.

Has anyone gotten this to work? If so please post your config & any suggestions. This is my biggest reason for running Windows :-/

2. kperry7505

kperry7505 Member

lumat, like you Palm HotSync is my primary reason using Windows. There are several other posts reporting the same issue, including mine. After my first post on the issue Time Sergeant, who posted Beta 2, asked me and another poster with the same issue for our, "exact Palm names and version numbers." Tim followed his RFI with a statement that he was going to personally going to work on the problem. These posts of the thread announcing Beta 2. There's also another thread reporting the problem.

3. luomat

luomat Hunter

4. jonsun

jonsun Junior Member

Treo 650 will not Hotsynch

Same problem. Using USB cable. Get message that new hardware has been detected and recognizes that it is a Palm device. Installer searches for software and states required software not detected. When I open Hotsynch manager to set it for USB connection, only Local, Modem, and network appear. No USB option. I downloaded most recent USB driver for Windows XP and the installer claims it isn't the correct software.

Otherwise, this is truely like having two computers in one. Amazing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. kperry7505

kperry7505 Member

Beta 3094

;) luomat,
    Do you have the VM USB configuration setting to "Auto connect" to USB devices?
    In previous builds I have set the USB setting to NOT auto connect. I would initiate the hotsync from the cable and then selet the Palm in the USB submenu in the VM. When I put the setting to auto connect, the hotsync works as it is supposed to consistently.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  6. j0nkatz

j0nkatz Junior Member

I'm having this same issue.
    It's killing me not to be able to HotSync.

7. billaquino

billaquino Junior Member

My Palm TX will not sync either under the beta 2. I reverted back to 1970 and had sync worked again.

8. digitaltvguy

digitaltvguy Bit poster

Treo 680 not functioning either with 3106 Beta 3

I hope this will be fixed. This was a very big reason why I purchased Parallels. There are many Windows only Palm application installers !!! :( :( :( :(

9. lozano

lozano Junior Member

In several threads the consensus seems to be that it will work in 1970 and beta1 (3036), but definitely not in beta 2 (3096) or beta 3 (3106). Consequently I backed off from 3106 to 3036 yesterday and am now able to consistently sync fine with my 700p via usb cable.

Every once in a while I need to stop / restart the hotsync process in xp.

To recap my config is:
    pd beta 1 (build 3036)
    treo 700p /w usb cable
    mbpro c2
    usb set to autoconnect
    one time issued this command: sudo kextunload -b com.parallels.kext.ConnectUSB
    See this for more info, among several other threads.

10. lozano

lozano Junior Member

Able to get it to work in rc1 now ... the onlyh difference is to disable the "usb autoconnect", then do not issue the "sudo .... " command. Works great now!

11. Liong612

Liong612 Junior Member

Try to re-install the USB driver from My Computer (device manager) properties. It solved my problem with my Sony HD5. Good luck!

12. modular747

modular747 Member

Yes, 3120 will successfully Hotsync with my Palm Treo 700p if USB auto-connect if turned off. Plug in the Treo after starting the XP VM and "Palm Handheld" shows up in the USB list . After checking it, wait a few seconds for the Windows USB connect tone and then press the Hotsync button - there will be another USB tone and the Hotsync proceeds. If auto-connect is active, you get the USB tones, but Hotsync never starts. Hope this will be fixed in the next "RC."

13. farberm

farberm Bit poster

Success

I finallly was able to get this to work as long as the palm was not connected to a usb hub bt directly into the front of the mac pro

Disable autconnect as stated above

14. kperry7505

kperry7505 Member

With theVM's USB auto-connect disabled as you describe and I plug in my Tungsten T3, no "Palm Handheld" shows up in the VM's USB list. The "Palm Handheld" only shows up in the USB list after I initiate a HotSync.:(

15. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

That might only mean it's a passive USB device. Until the hotsync button is pressed it does not announce itself.

16. kperry7505

kperry7505 Member

Thanks. It's nice to hear a technical explanation, as opposed to sloppy code. I know the Paralells team is working to restore Palm HotSync capability.:eek:

17. kperry7505

kperry7505 Member

billaquino, Have you tried syncing in Beta 3? I can't get my Tungsten T3 to sync like I want. If you've got your TX syncing right, I might have the excuse I need to upgrade.;)

18. Resuna

Resuna Member

I just got my Palm syncing for the first time. I'm not sure what's different this time, the only thing I did differently was, just for the hell of it, uncheck and recheck USB in the hotsync menu. Hopefully it's not a fluke. More opefully, it will remember whatever got changed

* Fresh install of Palm Desktop. Again.

* Hotsync run manually.

* USB Autoconnect.

* Tried syncing, failed.

* Manually killed Hotsync from Task manager.

* Manually ran Hotsync again.

* UNCHECKED AND RECHECKED USB IN HOTSYNC MENU FROM THE ICON TRAY.

* Plugged in Clie and tapped the Hotsync icon.

"Do you want to set up a new account on this computer?"

(cue "YES YES YES" sound effects from "When Harry met Sally")

19. Resuna

Resuna Member

Second sync attempt... hanging again.

Can't kill HOTSYNC.EXE.

[update]

After restarting and doing the uncheck-recheck dance, another successful sync.

20. java2d

java2d Junior Member

Palm Treo 650 sync woes

PD Build 3188, MBP, XP

After syncing my Palm Treo 650 with Outlook for about a year, I can no longer sync, and the message I get is Com 1 is not available. Any ideas?