Help with Remote Desktop Connection

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Luca Cella, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Luca Cella

Luca Cella Bit poster

Hi all,

I am kinda desperate as I just purchased Parallels 4.0 for MAC and the idea was to use it with Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection for Clients. I can log in the Remote Desktop but can't drag and drop stuff from my MAC's Desktop to the Remote Desktop. When I launch Parallels, it ask me to type in the Windows Product Key which I don't have because my boss keeps it and he's a kinda control freak.

I have probably confused you guys, but I don't know much about MAC's, I am just trying to make the switch and so that I can learn more.

Thanks heaps for your help

2. Luca Cella

Luca Cella Bit poster

Nothing at all?

3. William Geck

William Geck Member

I don't think Microsoft Remote Desktop allows that (?). When I need to transfer files, I just share a folder on my work computer, and "map" it into windows (hosted by parallels). You can then drag files from the remote desktop to the shared mac desktop. If you don't want to bother with sharing, if you have an admin account on the remote machine, I believe you can simply map "\\<ip address>\C$". There is no Remote Desktop involved in doing it this way.

4. Luca Cella

Luca Cella Bit poster

Hi wrgeck and thanks for your reply. I don't really care about sharing, as long as I can send emails from the Remote Desktop ti my colleagues. I purchased Parallels mainly to transfer stuff from my MAC desktop to the Remote one without going to shared folders.

What doesn't Remote Desktop let me do?

5. William Geck

William Geck Member

If you are not using VPN with Windows, you could simply use Remote Desktop for Mac, and possibly shared folders on the mac. You can download Remote Desktop for Mac from Microsoft's website, and to access remote files locally, use "connect to server" in the Finder with smb://<ip address>. If you do use VPN, many clients have mac versions.

I do not know all the capabilities of Remote Desktop. My VPN (CheckPoint) does not have a working Mac client, so I need to run from Parallels w/ Remote Desktop there. But I use file sharing to transfer docs, when necessary. Maybe I am missing out on something :)