Burning from Windows

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rich.mcdonough, Dec 29, 2006.

1. rich.mcdonough

rich.mcdonough Bit poster

One of the stated new features of these recent builds is the ability to burn from a VM:

NEW! Full-feature virtual CD/DVD drive - Burn CDs and DVDs directly in virtual machines, and play any copy-protected CD or DVD just like you would on a real PC

However, my Boot Camp XP installation does not present itself as having a CD/DVD burner when started from Parallels, rather it appears as a reader. I have a MacBook Pro with a decent DVD burner in it that I would just love to use with Nero.

Has anyone else been able to use their burner from within Parallels?

2. ahintz

ahintz Junior Member

I have the same issue - no CD/DVD burner. Is this feature yet to come in the beta, or is there something we need to do to to enable burning support?

TIA!

--Andrew

3. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I burned a CD using 3106 beta. The first time I think it soft frozed or something, everything got all messed up. However when I got my XP up and running again and fixed my resolution. I tried to burn the same files onto the same CD and the second time everything worked just fine.

4. engyew

engyew Member

I used Alcohol 120% to burn a DVD. Works.

5. foomonkey

foomonkey Bit poster

Burning from Windows Explorer (not 3rd party app)?

Stevamundo, did you use the built in Windows Explorer burning support to burn your discs?

On my MacBook Pro (C2D), the drive in Windows XP SP2 shows up as a plain old CD drive (DVD drive when I put a DVD in the player). It doesnt show up as a burner in Explorer... I cant open the CD drive in Explorer to drag files to burn to CD like I can on a box running Windows natively.

Thanks!

6. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I just created a new folder on the Windows desktop. Then I just moved the files that I wanted to burn in the new folder. Then I named that folder. Then I copied that folder onto my D drive.

Like I said I had to do this twice. Because the first time everything got all messed up. The second time everything when just fine. Don't ask me why because I have no idea.

7. ahintz

ahintz Junior Member

Interesting - I too have 3106 installed on my 20" Core Duo iMac, and the drive shows up as just a plain old CD/DVD drive. Neither Nero nor Windows Explorer sees it as a place to burn files.

--Andrew

8. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

In XP under properties for each CD/DVD drive there should be a setting under the Recording tab to "enable CD recording on this drive". You have to select that or you won't be able to burn from the desktop. That setting should have no effect on burning from a 3rd party app like Nero, which you need to use if you are going to burn a DVD.

9. foomonkey

foomonkey Bit poster

No Recording tab

Hm, for some reason, my XP virtual machine doesnt show a Recording tab when I pull up properties for the CD/DVD drive.

I wonder if Parallels Desktop has support for specific burners... I'm using a MacBook Pro 17" C2D which is only a few of months old now... could that be part of the problem?

Is anyone with a new MacBook Pro C2D able to burn from within a VM?
    Thanks

10. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Yeah on my 20 inch iMac with build beta 3106 it says: DVD-RW drive (D: ). Also in the properties it has the Recording tab.

11. mmika

mmika Pro

Try to boot windows with a real drive connected. Parallels is able to burn only if your physical drive connected, not an image.
    What does windows device manager(right click on "My computer->Manage->Device manager") show?

12. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

That's a good point. I think that's indeed true.

13. ahintz

ahintz Junior Member

Thanks! That fixed it! I just needed to boot Windows with the CD-ROM drive set to "Enabled" and "Connect at Startup" to get it to detect the drive.

--Andrew

14. foomonkey

foomonkey Bit poster

Good catch!
    Yep, worked for me as well. Thanks!

So it looks like windows detects the real hardware when "Connect at Startup" is enabled vs some fake proxy to the hardware when not enabled. The fake proxy doesnt seem to identify itself as a burner so windows doesnt give you the burner functionality.

When I boot with "Connect at Startup" enabled, Windows detects the drive as a "UJ-85J" in Device Manager (which is the model of the burner in my MacBook). It actually went through the "detected new hardware" process, which surprised me at first.

When I boot with "Connect at Startup" disabled, Windows shows the drive as a "PRL Virtual CD-ROM" in Device Manager. Again, no burning support. Even if you connect it to the physical drive while the VM is running. I'm guessing Windows cant handle hot swapping ATA drives, therefore Parallels cant swap out the virtual drive hardware profile with the real drive hardware profile.

15. rich.mcdonough

rich.mcdonough Bit poster

That did it. Thanks!

16. mmika

mmika Pro

You are right.

Hint! If you use third party software for burning (Nero CloneCD etc), it detects burner even if you booted with image connected. But do not forget to connect to VM a real drive before running this software.

17. jpitrman

jpitrman Bit poster

Hey everyone, just jumping in with the same problem.

I must be missing something obvious, but...

- Macbook 13" running MacOSX 10.4.8, updated as of today.
    - Parallels 3036 beta with the 30 day trial key.
    - Windows XP SP2 Corporate Pro, updated most recently a few weeks ago.
    - Standard Macbook UJ-857 Matshita dvd drive, no problems burning anything in MacOS.

I don't see a 'Recording' tab under the drive properties in Windows as jwjohnson99 had posted. I don't remember ever seeing one on a Windows box, but I may just be missing it.

Settings in Parallels which I told to do the basic newb automatic setup when I installed it a few days ago:

CD/DCD-ROM1 - Default CD/DVD-ROM
    Device status:
    Enabled, Connect at startup.
    Emulation:
    Use CD/DVD-ROM, Drive: Default CD/DVD-ROM.
    Attachment options:
    Connect to IDE 0:1 (with the HD as 0:0).

And clonecd/windows both see it as the PRL Virtual Drive that others are seeing.

Since enabled and connect at startup are both selected, I'm stumped as that seems to have solved others' problems with this. These have been the settings all along, I hadn't changed anything in the hardware setup for the VM.

Anything obvious I'm missing here?

18. mmika

mmika Pro

jpitrman, Parallels supports burning since build 3094.

19. TurboXT

TurboXT Bit poster

i have used Nero to burn CDs with Parallels 2 Beta

20. jpitrman

jpitrman Bit poster

I knew it had to be something that obvious, but when I checked for updates within parallels, it told me I had the newest version. It must not check for new beta versions, only finished versions?

I'm downloading 3106 now. This should iron everything out -- if so I'll be buying parallels shortly.

Thanks mmika!