Vista Enterprise can't load Tools

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bill.robertson, Jan 3, 2007.

1. bill.robertson

bill.robertson Junior Member

I've got a Vista Enterprise edition (RTM) VM that worked nicely with the released version of Parallels. I installed the 3106 beta 3 and my Win XP VM's work ok. Parallels Tools installed as expected. Had fun blowing the minds of all the Windows diehards around me.:)

On my Vista VM however, I can't get the Parallels Tools to install. :( On the first attempt, I did get a little thingy in the Windows tray that popped up and said driver updates were installing. I tried a restart and got a message saying the updates were running and not to disconnect power etc, and then it restarted. After the restart, I still got the message saying the tools were out of date. I tried running the Install Parallels Tools again, and nothing's happening. It's been about half an hour, so far.

I'm uninstalled Tools with the Control Panel, and then tried Installing Tools again, and still waiting for something to happen. :confused:

2. bill.robertson

It's about 22 hours later, and the Install Parallel Tools is still sitting there, having done nothing over night.

I searched the FAQ and didn't find anything about problems with this. Is it supposed to work in this release or not?

3. blazewon22

blazewon22 Bit poster

Do a custom install and deselct the network drivers. Worked for me.

4. misterjangles

misterjangles Member

did you do the right-click and run the tools installer in XP compatibility mode? i had to do that previously. i have the parallels tools running just fine for Vista

5. bill.robertson

I would love to do a Custom Install, Blazewon22, but I never get to the dialog window that would let me choose to do so.

Basically nothing happens when I click on Install Parallels Tools, except for the menu item changing to Cancel Parallels Tools Installation.

I can open my WinXP guest OS, and it continues to work as expected. But the Vista guest OS doesn't, despite several restarts.

6. bill.robertson

Right-click on the CD in the My Computer window? When I do that it says to insert a CD.

7. stokkes

stokkes Member

What he means is Right click on your CD in "Computer", choose "Explore"

You then see the list of files on the Parallels Tools CD that's been mounted in Windows. You should see an .msi file (this is the parallels tools), right click on that, choose properties. In the properties, you can choose "XP Compatibility Mode", check this box, click Apply, then OK. Now double click on the file to run the parallels tools.

I don't have vista but I have run it in the past.

Good luck.