Office 2007 activation and Parallels Boot Camp Mode

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sbc, Jan 3, 2007.

1. sbc

sbc Bit poster

I'm using Office 2007 (Beta 2 TR) and when switching between Boot Camp and Parallels Boot Camp Mode I am prompted to reactivate. The specific message specifically mentions that a hardware change was detected.

My guess is that there is a similar set of files to those that are managed to retain Windows activation, and that Parallels will also need to manage these in order to retain Office activation. (I'm assuming the new Parallels functionality works by copying and replacing the Windows activation files as appropriate.)

There's also a chance that this issue is specific to the Office beta and won't appear in the final release, but I doubt that.

Anyone know which files are affected for office?

2. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Which version of Parallels are you using?

ajm

3. joco

joco Member

I am seeing the exact SAME problem with Office 2003. So this issue is not related to the Office version. Btw, I am using Beta 3 (3106)

4. sbc

sbc Bit poster

I'm using Beta 3 (3106)

5. islagrancan

islagrancan Bit poster

I believe the Office 2003 activation files are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\DATA

Not sure where 2007 files are, maybe same folder?

I guess Paralles are going to have to do some kind of automatic file swap as they do with the windows activation files.

6. ptrella

ptrella Bit poster

I'm having the same problem, but with the actual win xp activation. I'm running 3106 and when I try to run the boot camp partition as a VM, it wants me to re-activate windows (and probably office 2003, though I haven't gotten that far). I thought that this was one of the things that 3106 fixed, but for some reason, not for me! Any ideas?

7. Gologic

Gologic Bit poster

Just wanted to add to the need for Office activation issue to be resolved. I am running Office 2003 with Parallels build 3106 in a Boot Camp configuration. I am required to re-activate Office every time I re-boot. Just a side note regarding the Windows activation. I called Microsoft and got a new activation code and have had no problems.

8. aero320

aero320 Member

I had a similar problem with my Office 2003 installation and got tired of calling the Microsoft Activation number and talking to support people in another country (my hearing is not that good). I constantly get the emails from the software download sites and decided to purchase the same programs in the download versions. It costs $69 to purchase the download and they do not require the activiation, however, you can update the programs once they are installed. I do own a legitimate seat of the software. I just purchased a Windows XP Pro SP2 (of which I also own) and will try creating a new VM and installing the downloaded version of Windows XP.